Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridge Analytica + Psyops + The Beast

Keep on wondering/hoping that the Brexit connection will come to the fore. Similarly tiny margins - I recall Dominic Cummings crowing about how clever he'd been with his use of "quants" I can't remember his terminology exactly but its suspiciously vague - I bet he's regretting opening his trap now.

It's in here somewhere if anyone has a few hours to kill - it's an interesting read actually: https://dominiccummings.com/2017/01/...e-the-storm-2/

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    with the CA scandal you can pretend thats an abuse of the platform rather than its essence
    fundamentally true + an important point. otoh this is so big/egregious that it's not surprising it's becoming the face of that unpleasant truth.

i.e. if everyone is doping but you win the TDF 7 times in a row (+ you're also a massive jerk) you're going to become the face of doping.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    This is the argument for effectiveness
    ya I've seen it. could be true, sure. same w/Brexit.

otoh political scientists are uniformly quite dismissive. granted maybe they would be, big data/microtargeting could be a disruptive thing for them, but still they are.

ofc could be the case that CA is overrated/not v effective in general but still tipped the margin in 1 or both of these instances.

About 11% total drop now, on top of the loss of new US users for the first time ever in January
    there's also the argument out there that FB stock was highly overvalued + was due for a correction either way

from what I see Wall Street etc opinion seems to be highly divided on FB rn

anyway, I'm not saying it's not very bad, just too soon to call. if this continues, we'll see.

the market is kneejerk, this is something that will continue to play out for months/years

I honestly cant think of another instance of non-state directed electoral interference
    there is something about combining basically private military contractor (psyops division) + PR firm election consultation into one thing

the point in the Guardian about Russian flipping Silicon Valley - traditional huge U.S. soft power vector - back on the U.S. is pretty interesting, almost personal

the siloviki finally getting revenge for the samizdat + bootleg jeans

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    there's also the argument out there that FB stock was highly overvalued + was due for a correction either way

from what I see Wall Street etc opinion seems to be highly divided on FB rn

anyway, I'm not saying it's not very bad, just too soon to call. if this continues, we'll see.

the market is kneejerk, this is something that will continue to play out for months/years
    I agree. It just feels like there's something in the air...

something in the air...
    I agree it feels like there could be. just v hard to envision an entity the size/influence of FB really going away at this point.

if anything can do away w/FB I'd imagine it's the inevitable tech disruption cycle as something new - some VR/AR, AI, thing - comes along

but ya definitely some people are gonna get fired and/or indicted
    Last edited by padraig (u.s.); 21-03-2018 at 12:15 AM.

i started watching that man talk on the guardian website and had switch him off after about 23 seconds.

Obama 2012 campaign team data scientist on what they did with FB user data:

https://medium.com/@rayid/why-what-c...e-eb5c313b55f8

FTC apparently says that these violations could result in $40,000 fines.

PER PERSON.

Thats 2 trillion $.

'Dr. Spectre' claims he's being scapegoated.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...idge-analytica

FTC apparently says that these violations could result in $40,000 fines.

PER PERSON.

Thats 2 trillion $.
    Actually, this is wrong. Its $40,000 a day per violation.

Facebook's total equity is $74.347 billion.

Its extremely unlikely but there is a pathway there to complete annihilation and bankruptcy if the political will was there.

decent article on the (public) Facebook API Cambridge Analytica used: https://medium.com/tow-center/the-gr...e-b69fe692d747

Form the Guardian article Droid just posted:

Kogan said: "The project that Cambridge Analytica has allegedly done, which is use people’s Facebook data for micro-targeting, is the primary use case for most data on these platforms. Facebook and Twitter and other platforms make their money through advertising and so there’s an agreement between the user of ‘hey, you will get this amazing product that costs billions of dollars to run and in return we can sell you to advertisers for micro-targeting’.”