Cambridge Analytica + Psyops + The Beast

vimothy

yurp
I think you're right about that. It's a pretext to get at trump or at least delegitimise his election. At the same time I think it betrays an increasingly common anxiety with social media, targeted advertising, automation, etc, that is not really about Cambridge analytica at all.

vimothy

yurp
Some of my friends think that although what CA did was far from unusual, the outrage around it might kick off a movement that changes the model companies like Facebook operate on. That seems highly improbable to me.

luka

it's nothing personal i just want to bring out the best in you and ensure you are consistently adding value. i think we need vimothy and i think we need extreme vimothy.

luka

Some of my friends think that although what CA did was far from unusual, the outrage around it might kick off a movement that changes the model companies like Facebook operate on. That seems highly improbable to me.

i expect it to have as much impact as the snowden stuff did. zero. but i'd like to be wrong. im not an optimist like droid is.

vimothy

yurp
No I appreciate the input. Your feedback is valuable and will definitely be incorporated into future posts

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I say we've all had our fun -

Time to switch the internet off

Or at least restrict it to one hour per day

luka

plenty of people talking about the singularity before he did. i enjoy reading his meltdown essay though. got some great lines in it. i wonder if droid likes it. it's science fiction. droid?

Last edited:

luka

possibly. i mean, i could be swayed. i'll get you to tell me more about it some time. this specific thread probably isnt the place.

luka

it is notable (and noticeable) how influential he is though even if a lot of that influence manifests itself as people just taking the piss out of him.

vimothy

yurp
okay, but my point is that's one response to the problem of the internet, to the problem of technology in general. go into it, as much as possible

luka

okay, but my point is that's one response to the problem of the internet, to the problem of technology in general. go into it, as much as possible

yeah, lean into it. i think as an aesthetic response theres a strong argument for it but it gets messy once you apply it as an ethical model. which is why i tend to think lands influence is a stylistic one rather than a serious philosophical one

luka

so i was talking about the effect of digitisation on architecture on the this and that thread and i think that is somewhere i would like to see architects leaning into it more rather than tempering it and turning away from it. music has done this for years obviously.

vimothy

yurp
i might agree with some of that, but unfortunately land's aesthetic vision is increasingly becoming our reality

luka

perhaps it's just me being platitudinous but what land would see as drag or resistance or whatever i see as feedback

luka

and you come to grief when you disregard the feedback. im going to watch a bit of tv.

vimothy

yurp
Im in favour of less technological alienation, personally, but its interesting to see the argument for as much as possible spelled out