Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buildings where you think you're in VR

Totally forgot that we believe in environmentalism

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/cityt...-uk-piccadilly

This is a part of the gherkin, isn't it? Sustainability. Organic structures. Maybe that's why wood is big. In the scene. Of architecture.

EDIT: Sorry sufi I've derailed this thread. More pictures of VR buildings are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    Totally forgot that we believe in environmentalism

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/cityt...-uk-piccadilly

This is a part of the gherkin, isn't it? Sustainability. Organic structures. Maybe that's why wood is big. In the scene. Of architecture.

EDIT: Sorry sufi I've derailed this thread. More pictures of VR buildings are needed.
    i mentioned the 'smart building' stuff. lots of it in dubai. was china building a 'smart city'? or did i make that up. i dont agree that the thread needs more pics and less harebrained speculation. keep it up.

these buildings do seem to be the purest representations of capital dont they? better even than a huge pile of banknotes would be.
    particularly as they squat on the most expensive real estate on earth. and by being at the forefront of the future they have a slightly retro feel, as if they were harking back to neromancer, hypercapital, Tessier-Ashpool.

when you see the isle of dogs after dark from the high ridge of land round greenwich etc the blue glass, the corporate logos, the winking pyramid and the matrix of light.

worth bearing in mind that the canary wharf area is likewise private land. almost a city state of infinite wealth, seceded from greater london. it seems to float above its surroundings like a mirage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

They should do more with screens

A CGI sistine chapel done by Industrial Light and Magic

But not the story of genesis, the story of the industrial revolution (actually they sorta did this in the olympics opening ceremony, didn't they?)

https://www.architecture.com/awards-...ng-page/awards

Seems like wood is big in architecture these days
    'drum and bass with real instruments.'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

They should do more with screens

A CGI sistine chapel done by Industrial Light and Magic

But not the story of genesis, the story of the industrial revolution (actually they sorta did this in the olympics opening ceremony, didn't they?)
    it's in bladerunner so they'll get to it eventually i'd imagine. (not screen so much but the evolution of the screen. the free floating moving image projected into space)

What I'm wondering is does the future HAVE to be shiny, smooth, artificial? Or is that just a notion of the future we've inherited? (You refer to this upthread, the retro look of these 'cutting-edge' designs.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i suppose all the spaces around canary wharf were really the first to give a clue to this future (in london that is(
    I used to think this when I had a job around there years ago. Some of the buildings were so new and shiny, so totally bereft of anything soft or organic or curved, they really did look like full-sized CGI architects' models, to the extent that it was actually disconcerting. And then, as I glid past on the driverless DLR train, my eye would casually land on a single piece of rusting Victorian dock equipment that had been left in place for some reason.

(Is 'glid' a word? Seems like it should be.)

(Oh, and I saw seals in the docks once. That was cool.)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I mean

How boring!

What I'm wondering is does the future HAVE to be shiny, smooth, artificial? Or is that just a notion of the future we've inherited? (You refer to this upthread, the retro look of these 'cutting-edge' designs.
    it's to do with the nature of the screen isn't it?

What I'm wondering is does the future HAVE to be shiny, smooth, artificial?
    Nah, it could very well turn out rusty, scavenged, jerry-rigged and possibly radioactive.

[in b4 droid...]
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

that specific visual form of interface with the computer. there's no tactility there. so you have buildings made on computers, aspiring to the condition of computer-space. that's why i keep saying london is dematerialising. it's why i wrote a poem called the materials about materials before there are no materials!

it's why i said modern pop sounds like the future becasue of the same frictionless, expensive quality. brushed steel. opaque glass.

I mean

How boring!
    have a walk around the olympic village behind stratford. this already exists in a boring form.