Buildings where you think you're in VR

luka

They should do more with screens

A CGI sistine chapel done by Industrial Light and Magic

But not the story of genesis, the story of the industrial revolution (actually they sorta did this in the olympics opening ceremony, didn't they?)

it's in bladerunner so they'll get to it eventually i'd imagine. (not screen so much but the evolution of the screen. the free floating moving image projected into space)

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
What I'm wondering is does the future HAVE to be shiny, smooth, artificial? Or is that just a notion of the future we've inherited? (You refer to this upthread, the retro look of these 'cutting-edge' designs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i suppose all the spaces around canary wharf were really the first to give a clue to this future (in london that is(

I used to think this when I had a job around there years ago. Some of the buildings were so new and shiny, so totally bereft of anything soft or organic or curved, they really did look like full-sized CGI architects' models, to the extent that it was actually disconcerting. And then, as I glid past on the driverless DLR train, my eye would casually land on a single piece of rusting Victorian dock equipment that had been left in place for some reason.

(Is 'glid' a word? Seems like it should be.)

(Oh, and I saw seals in the docks once. That was cool.)

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I mean

201606_DuDoanTuongLai.jpg

How boring!

luka

What I'm wondering is does the future HAVE to be shiny, smooth, artificial? Or is that just a notion of the future we've inherited? (You refer to this upthread, the retro look of these 'cutting-edge' designs.

it's to do with the nature of the screen isn't it?

luka

that specific visual form of interface with the computer. there's no tactility there. so you have buildings made on computers, aspiring to the condition of computer-space. that's why i keep saying london is dematerialising. it's why i wrote a poem called the materials about materials before there are no materials!

luka

it's why i said modern pop sounds like the future becasue of the same frictionless, expensive quality. brushed steel. opaque glass.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Been around there many times

It's a horrible excuse for a park

The swimming pool is a cool design

I actually like stratford - all those skyscrapers jutting out against the skyline

I like to walk around there stoned imagining I'm in the nascent stage of blade runner

luka

I actually like stratford - all those skyscrapers jutting out against the skyline

I like to walk around there stoned imagining I'm in the nascent stage of blade runner

stratford is the future. do you know the old shopping centre? where teenagers on rollerblades leap over the sleeping bodies of homeless Romanians? there's nowhere remotely as futurisitc as stratford.

luka

i cant go there without feeling very sad/angry/cheated because theyve disappeared my whole childhood under that olympic site.

luka

the most disorientating thing is that they have their own android population of very young, wealthy, physically attractive residents from a clone lab somewhere. playing table tennis shirtless, muscles rippling, baseball caps on backwards, high-5ing each other. who are these people?

sufi

lala
that specific visual form of interface with the computer. there's no tactility there. so you have buildings made on computers, aspiring to the condition of computer-space. that's why i keep saying london is dematerialising. it's why i wrote a poem called the materials about materials before there are no materials!
OK so what of this in melbs and this nonsense in london victoria (it's crap design features are a bit "subtle")?
overlaying images on the structural designs that likely would not have been doable without a lot of manual drafting, but made some nice and groovy visual effect with just a moment of clicky clck
Not sure if those are CAD trying to soften or humanise itself with a sort of sense of humour or history perhaps, or ...?
173_05-03-2015_7450.jpg

6d3aed2e1d126d60acf9d1eeed8d1a50b7224de6.jpg

sufi

lala
btszifi2ztjy.jpg
makes a much better job of having a bit of a laugh, while still being too boggling to have existed without electronic visualisation

sufi

lala
sports shoes, mobile phones and motor vehicles are all melting into a single nasty design strategy as implemented in every direction from old st roundabout omphalos
old-street-roundabout-design-by-epr-architects-london-x150218.jpg

luka

OK so what of this in melbs and this nonsense in london victoria (it's crap design features are a bit "subtle")?
overlaying images on the structural designs that likely would not have been doable without a lot of manual drafting, but made some nice and groovy visual effect with just a moment of clicky clck
Not sure if those are CAD trying to soften or humanise itself with a sort of sense of humour or history perhaps, or ...?

yes. ive picked out a strand and emphasised it (sleek, frictionless, opaque, monochrome or primary colours) but it leaves things out. some of those things are botches and half-measures and not worth thinking about (drum and bass with real instruments)
but youve pointed to something which is worth poking and prodding at.

things that only become feasible (in terms of the maths etc) with computers. a lot of starchtiect stuff. zaha hadid etc