Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Buildings where you think you're in VR

Big images please

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Default Temple Works Leeds

Temple Works Leeds

Tianjin Binhai Library

5. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

i thought the first building i ever described as looking like cgi superimposed on the skyline was the swiss re building/gherkin. but now im confused because wikipedia is telling me city hall opened in '02, the gherkin in '03, and city hall and the landscaping around it gave me that feeling very strongly and still does.

city hall and the space around it i think of being the blueprint for new space and new london. the model for developments like bloomberg building on cannon street for instance. (both are also 'smart buildings' although that's not apparent by looking at them)
    pedestrianised and privatised space. what are the pavements there made out of? granite? that expensive corporate grey colour. that's a hallmark of new space. the shops under the office blocks. the private security.

it's reproducing itself all over the city. it's formed a strategic alliance with the new breed of hipster corporations. franco manca, crosstown doughnuts, notes coffee, homeslice pizza, bleeker burger, byron etc etc.

these brands which emerged from that hipster/foodie convergence. street food. 3rd wave coffee. craft beer. borough market. maltby street. broadway market. the willingness to pay £7 for a pint. $5 for a coffe. £10 for a burger. etc etc
    Last edited by luka; 22-03-2018 at 09:46 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i suppose all the spaces around canary wharf were really the first to give a clue to this future (in london that is(

Elbphilharmonie_Großer-Saal_c_Iwan_Baan-14.jpg

Edit: the new concert hall in Hamburg that opened a year or two ago - think I posted here about it at the time. Designed by algorithm, it has 10,000 acoustic panels, each of which has 100 dimples in it. No two panels are identical.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 22-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i suppose all the spaces around canary wharf were really the first to give a clue to this future (in london that is(
    I used to think this when I had a job around there years ago. Some of the buildings were so new and shiny, so totally bereft of anything soft or organic or curved, they really did look like full-sized CGI architects' models, to the extent that it was actually disconcerting. And then, as I glid past on the driverless DLR train, my eye would casually land on a single piece of rusting Victorian dock equipment that had been left in place for some reason.

(Is 'glid' a word? Seems like it should be.)

(Oh, and I saw seals in the docks once. That was cool.)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

check back my first post -
    Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post

Temple Works Leeds
    Temple Works Leeds - once upon a time the biggest engineered space in the world,
    but all constructed well before the electronic era,
    now feels like a first person shooter with layers of CGI techno-grime emulating an authentic feeling of agedness in this building which itself was a revival of ancient egyptian styling on modernist materials (cast iron )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

San Franktokyo

Through the yellow doorway you get to Silo 3. Silo 2 is the path behind me, and silo 1 directly down the tube in front.
    Junction by David Stillman, on Flickr

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post: