Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Autechre, NTS Residency

"what you mean like a guitar or something where you select the notes or whatever? no, no no no, fuck all that."

Quote Originally Posted by chava View Post
    It is exactly this clumsiness/naivité that sets Aphew clearly above Autechre, who are merely hucksters of sentimental show off algo-noodling. Whether they are influenced by black music is missing the point.
    naivete leads to anthem trance and jump up though, true story.

revolting jump up: he did not learn the serious lesson from 93 darkside. he should have shot people in the rave.

Last edited by thirdform; 05-09-2019 at 03:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Must admit that I haven't checked exai, oversteps and any other stuff from that era enough to have an opinion. My point about the hooks is they were writing more memorable tunes in the early days. The following algo-y stuff lacked the human feel, obviously, which I don't respond to even half as much. Need to check the 2010 and onwards stuff asap

stop being an aristocratic nostalgic red tory! some of us nearly starved to death on the dole in this existing society, you know. do you really want to go back to a society where art is restricted to people who understand human feel and not any old johnny come lately prole who discovered a computer to make weird noises with? shocking, i tell you!

you need to listen to jungle when it was good in 93 and then autechre will not come across to you as very complicated or lacking human feel or whatever:

I respect islamists

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    imo yes!

was listening to early aphex around when the first set was on, and it reminded me of what third was saying in his list. that they grew up around black music in a way that aphex didn't. to me the new 89-93 material supports that idea. shows how autechre had a much better grasp of techno and electro rhythms at this point. (and now, but that's beside the point.) stuff like this, as much as I like it, sounds a bit clumsily executed rhythmically by comparison:

it also sounds like a trueskool undergr00nd version of blank and jones cream. take from that what you will.

a dollop of 00s british mdma naivete for chava with an accompanying post:

"i still have no idea why you petty-bourgeois dilettantes are moaning about the overload of online mixes and wanna go back to the dj mix cd. if anything is good about the mix overload its that we're constantly excavating pirate radio tapes!
    like do u lot seriously want to go back to the days of ministry of sound club classics and james zabiela back to mine comps with Atticus and Cassandra doing nose bag and ket in ur living room whilst debating whether world war I started in 1914 or 1918 and whether Wilhelmian Germany was an ally?
    Then leftover condom, cum stains on the sofa and bits of ripped tight when you wake up, only to find that they were doing the nookie to an interminable loop of spiller feat. Sophie Ellis Bexter - groovejet?
    Sort it out!"

weirdly enough the guy who made awesome darkside classics such as nightstalker b2 and until the night is morning. he was better when he was serious. look what drugs did to him! a travesty that patty should learn from!
    Last edited by thirdform; 05-09-2019 at 03:48 AM.
    I respect islamists

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Idk I'm not knowledgeable enough about the chronology. But while I used to dig the sonic abrasion, now I really prefer their stuff when it had beats

Uviol is one of my faves which has a lovely beat/hook but is also pretty trippy in that abstrakt digiscape way.

But I really love the early, much more obviously inspired by electro stuff. Amber etc

the new stuff is even more electro though, just in a spectral way, without the trappings of modern electro or ambient techno. this sounds like the type of music miles davis would be making today.

and i repeat, its not *that dazzlingly inhumanly complex*

if you really want unapproachable algo for the sake of algo listen to richard devine. hard work to make it through a full album though.

I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    Sick that they managed to fit seven minutes of madness into a six minute tune.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

listening to nts session 3 this morning. their most club friendly and also as a result a kind of riposte to deconstructed club. splesh is like instrumental grime and shackleton got an elevator and shack decided to give the goldsmiths boys a good beating for them to find their groove.

as for tt1pd, it's basically how dnb should sound today. simple and too long on first glance but turn it up and it reveals itself...
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    splesh is like instrumental grime
    I had 2 and 3 on last night and had the same thought, that detuned square lead sounds like Pied Piper or something.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

been well into the belgium and melbourne sets from the 2010 tour these past two days. they are in full on 90s UK free party live hard techno jam in these ones.

not sure how luke says his doesn't demand attention.
    I respect islamists

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

also live at glasgow art school 2005 is the most euphoric thing they've done. just one hour of glorious electro synth cords and hooks over stutter beats and tactile textures.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Sick that they managed to fit seven minutes of madness into a six minute tune.
    This is the content I come here for