droid

6:30AM, curtains closed tightly against the dawn, room still full but everyones coming down in a fog of weed. Someone puts this onto the decks and its like every synapse thats been firing for the last 6 hours implodes, activated by an inverse stimulus, an anti-rush that shivers through you from without and reverberates in the hollowed channels of your nervous system.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the prehistoric proto-D Double E instrumental

I like this one more than the other one.

I did think to myself while posting the above that sitting at my desk at midday eating almonds isn't perhaps the ideal environment for appreciating music like this. I like 'teartear' too...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think amber is their weakest tbh which isn't a diss really.

i used to roll strong spliffs and zone out to incunabula bitd. try it.

droid

Reckon Amber beats Incunabula, which was a bit of a false start IMO. Then Tri Repeate/Anti/Garbage/Anvil Vapre, Chiastic Slide, with LP5 probably the crowning achievement of their early years.

Been enjoying the Enya vibes off this recently.

version

Around 13 minutes into AE_LIVE_ASHEVILLE_081015, a pileup of itchy scribbles and horn-like tones reach an extraordinary density. It's a moment in which Sean Booth and Rob Brown take their place in the avant-garde firmament right next to innovative jazz players like Cecil Taylor and Albert Ayler. Then, less than two minutes later, a spanking booty electro beat and flatulent bassline spring out, surrounded by digital birdsong. It's pure rave. Utterly psychedelic, discombobulated, maddeningly unpredictable rave, but rave nonetheless. The crucial thing, though, is that there's no boundary between the two surges of sound. One grows out of the other naturally. Both are part of the same process, and all of it is totally Autechre.

[...]

As ever with Autechre, if you don't get it, you don't get it. To plenty it's just noise. And amen to that. In this age of constant availability and musical snacking, isn't it nice to have an act on a big stage willing to present something daunting, something that threatens to overwhelm you? Because this is overwhelming music, and it does test your faculties at points—but it is also music of pleasure, just as much as anything in Autechre's catalogue. It isn't austere, it isn't clever-clever, it isn't something that requires masters degrees to understand—it just needs you to give in to it. And maybe that's why, more than anyone of their generation, Autechre still feel relevant. Their music makes sense in the era of Objekt, NON Worldwide, PAN and UIQ. It's radical, but still aimed at the brain and body with that pure rave intensity, humour and passion, and with that improvisational wildness and freedom always either latent or—as here—out in the open. It is out of its mind and all the better for it.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Having another go at Amber

I think I underestimated it (surprise)

It wasn't what I wanted it to be so I spat out the breakbeats with disgust

I do think it somehow sounds more dated than aphex's ambient works. Perhaps it was more imitated?

Anyway

droid

Having another go at Amber

I think I underestimated it (surprise)

It wasn't what I wanted it to be so I spat out the breakbeats with disgust

I do think it somehow sounds more dated than aphex's ambient works. Perhaps it was more imitated?

Anyway

Definitely more imitated... 'Breakbeats' though? There's no breaks on that album.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
EDIT: I was imagining breakbeats, I think I meant more the style of beats (hip-hoppy) but in any case just ignore that

I can see now where Kid A came from. I assumed it was Aphex but this seems much closer to it.

Last edited: