Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are the R&B geniuses ATM?

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    Would you mind on expanding on what you mean by amusical here?
    I'm using musical in the idea of Musicianship. The Neptunes as producers function more with an emphasis as a band (which they are essentially, though granted Tim was in that one group/band with them eons ago) whereas Tim def gets a lot of his musical ideas from musicians playing them but his process is more tech oriented and collagist. Not that Timbaland isn't himself musical b/c certainly he loves using people to help flesh out his ideas with a lot of straightforward stuff not unlike the Neptunes but what he does at the core is usually rhythmic experimentation and trickery.

jacquees is on a great run

B.e.d. is great.

Like the dream he's a child of r Kelly (an unfortunate phrase) but more than a pale imitation.

Listening to young thugs verse on offshore recently I would say he's one of the foremost rnb vocalists these days if we're admitting that rap and rnb have merged fully at points.

I mean Young Thug doesn't sing like an R&B singer so not really no.

That's the worst attribute of rap's turn into melodic approaches; that because they're black people kind of automatically shift them into R&B as far as to what they're doing melodically. Future sings more like a rock singer than a R&B singer, but people are gonna call something like "Turn On The Lights" R&B b/c...

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Ty Dolla Sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Jeremih is not even important in today's R&B landscape that's pitchforkian mythos.
    Opinion please crowl.

corpse please can you say the bit at 1.10 sounds like the beach boys. cheers.

I don't like it tbh.

barty why don't you start explaining things to people instead of dangling them in front of them
    and hoping they hear what you hear?

also crowley we've evolved past liking and disliking now. it's a new era. liking means nothing. you have to explain why a record fails. why it is not doing what it sets out to do.

I don't like this rule.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

i feel like crowl's dad looking at an old family photo from disney land. mourning a son who used to love and engage with me. i'm hurting.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

crowl, fill in the blanks please:

ty dolla sign has the following strengths: _________________________________

jeremih has the following deficits/irrelevancies: _____________________________

with a collaborative project i believe their two sensibilities will clash in the following ways: ________________________

the above song demonstrates that in the following ways: _________________________

i'll give you a gold star if you fill that out and eat your greens.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post: