Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The only music worth its salt is psychedelic..

some of the avant stuff is psychedelic. rashad becker traditional music of notional species vol 1. synaesthetic. like hearing the sound of alien beings licking and tickling you. but also exploding out of the speakers. very 2c-e.

i just want dribbling hard acid to come back tbh.

what's psychedelic music? thought this was super obvious but must need spelling out.

the sex pistols definitely.obviously. ur bad trip.

most anything by future. just watch those hallucinatory videos.

pretty much anything which uses reverb gratuitously.

the black dog. boards of canada. detroit.

lee perry at the black ark. any dub obviously.

trppin ardkore 'ordes. terminator "you're talking about things i haven't even done yet"

astral weeks.

tomorrow never knows.

wire chairs missing.

chrome chromosome damage.

can mushroom.

SHOULD BE PLAINLY AUDIBLE.

Boldly leading with the Joker in the pack there cos if the sex pistols are psychedelic I have NO IDEA what it means

I was gonna say, there's no way in hell SPs are psychedelic. Musically they're about as straightforward rock'n'roll as it gets. And punk (I don't mean the weird stuff on the edges of punk or what came after, I mean Pistols, Clash, Damned, Ramones) was in large part a reaction against psychedelia, wasn't it?

(Never mind that John Lydon used to sell acid tabs on King's Road before he was 'discovered' by McLaren, or that the Ramones were big LSD fans and once released an album of 60s pop-rock covers - I would still say most punk rock, the punk that got into the charts and onto jukeboxes, is broadly un-psych if not actively anti-psych.)
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 13-04-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Frigging in the rigging there was fuck all else to do

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Also, if Future is psychedelic then a lot of rap music is psychedelic too and is extremely popular. Which somewhat scotches the "there's no psychedelic music anymore" argument, no?

This might relate to the music I was talking about in the autotune rap thread - lil yachty et al - which is definitely druggy, dreamlike, etc. Although I actually hear that as not being escapist, cos reality IS virtual now, it sounds like virtual reality.

I confess that I dont think I have any idea what psychedelic means in musical terms, I know when I hear it but...

There's the obvious aesthetic signifiers, exotic instruments, unpredictable arrangements, free structures.

Fundamentally, I take it to mean a kind of experimental exuberance.

I think the problem is that its often applied to different elements of craft, so you could have lyrical psychedelia, or psychedelic composition, or even a psychedelic philosophy which aren't necessarily reflected in other musical elements of song.

Its a bit like ambient in the sense that its a completely open descriptor.

I recommended a read of Hoffman's 'My problem child'. Some quite entertaining and very analytical descriptions of his and his colleague's trips surrounded by a ton of very dry descriptions of his pharmaceutical career.

Also tangentially related - there's a couple of equally dry trip descriptions in Herbie Hancocks' new autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    Isn't there a distinction to be made between psychedelic and hippy? Wouldn't call miles hippy.
    Well yeah, I mean for one thing a hippy is sort of an inherently 'white' thing to be, isn't it? Is it even possible to be a hippy, as such, if you're not white?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Well yeah, I mean for one thing a hippy is sort of an inherently 'white' thing to be, isn't it? Is it even possible to be a hippy, as such, if you're not white?
    Since most hippies had a middle class background you'd think that's the case. However Jimmy Hendrix went quite hippy, and the old pictures and footage shows black hippies here and there.

Hmm, I guess - had't considered Hendrix. Point still stands that the stereotypical hippy is (almost) always white, though.

What I was getting at is that hippy-ism, like the Beat movement in the previous decade, was very consciously a rejection of white, Christian, bourgeois values - and you can't meaningfully reject those values if you (or your family/community) were never signed up to them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Hmm, I guess - had't considered Hendrix. Point still stands that the stereotypical hippy is (almost) always white, though.

What I was getting at is that hippy-ism, like the Beat movement in the previous decade, was very consciously a rejection of white, Christian, bourgeois values - and you can't meaningfully reject those values if you (or your family/community) were never signed up to them in the first place.
    Hippies were absolutely about Christian values - their "peace, love n unity" was christian charity 100%.
    Last edited by firefinga; 13-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    completely open descriptor
    agree, but individual psychedelic mindsets, usually but not always drug-related, are/can be more stringently codified

i.e. some things might be psychedelic while definitely not being LSD psychedelic. I'd agree w/punk being mostly anti-psychedelic but either way it's not acid music.

punk as musical reaction was more about excess/bloat, i.e. prog, than psychedelia per se, strip it back to the bare bones. also nihilism as reaction against (failed) utopianism.

don't forget also lotta proto-punk v psychedelic content, i.e. MC5 - Starship + Black to Comm (whence Spacemen 3), proto punk not punk like Neu!, etc

psychedelic punk was actually one of my minor obsessions for a bit, v interested in the unison but it's p rare. here's a rare + good example.