Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The only music worth its salt is psychedelic..

this also, a personal fave current/modern hxc band, revealing a real potential untapped vein

psychedelic in the way I've seen people describe black metal as psychedelic, repetitive entrancing overwhelming wall of noise

the way hypnotic disco can be entrancing, approached from a different angle

there were/are plenty of non-white (+ non-middle class) hippies btw, it's just a different thing if you don't have that drop-out/safety net background

there were freaky drug/rock scenes in Mexico, various South American countries for example

always found trance v disappointing. such a great concept, such a terrible reality. psytrance esp the worst, neither psychedelic nor entrancing. bad rock music.

old 80s Goa tapes, what dudes were playing then, any kinda roots of trance tho has lotta cool things, this came up in another thread awhile ago, w/thirdform I think

like this right here is some proper drug music

see also the gnarliest, most fucked-up early Chicago house classics, i.e. Sleezy D - I've Lost Control, some true mindfuck biz right there
    Last edited by padraig (u.s.); 13-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Also, Krautrock was totally considered to be part of the hippy thing back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    this also, a personal fave current/modern hxc band, revealing a real potential untapped vein

psychedelic in the way I've seen people describe black metal as psychedelic, repetitive entrancing overwhelming wall of noise

the way hypnotic disco can be entrancing, approached from a different angle
    This is great on a black metal tip - though more mellow than the track you posted, "ambient black metal", who knew?: http://loveallday.com/black-construc...-josh-bearman/ - that track is really interesting , I don't listen to enough metal or hardcore to really be able to hear the novelty of what they're doing - it's hard to place but some quite freaky sounded layered guitar.
    Last edited by DannyL; 13-04-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Alistair at GreenGalloway is an old punk/squatter and he has posted a lot of punk/traveller history that shows the punk/hippy divide as a bit of retrospective imposition - that's his memories of it anyway - he's coming very much from the point where punks stopped squatting in the UK and headed out the city in vans. I guess Hawkwind and Ozric Tentacles would be the obvious bands.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    "ambient black metal", who knew?
    ya that side of black metal has been around for awhile, virtually since the beginning. all those extended Burzum keyboard workouts, even Bathory has some iirc.

more recently but still going backaways there's the shoegaze black metal thing, Alcest + that. not something I'm into/follow closely but a pretty decent sized niche.

that thing I posted is d-beat (specifically following the Swedish tradition, "snutskallar" is a reference to "Sprackta Snutskallar" by Shitlickers) not BM but same principles apply

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Hippies were absolutely about Christian values - their "peace, love n unity" was christian charity 100%.
    Well Jesus was really the ur-hippy, if you want to go down that route. I'm obviously talking about the values of conservative white America in the 1950s-60s, which were not particularly peace-n-love oriented and certainly weren't compatible with dropping out of education/work, casual sex, taking acid and wild orgiastic dancing to essentially "negro" styles of music.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 13-04-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Paidrag - cheers, very interesting. I know nothing about metal or any of its mutant variants, so interesting when something pops up that can sit easily with my other listening.

Just looked up Alistair's blog and found this via searching for "punk hippy":
    First a trickle, then a surge of the punk generation became 'hippy travellers', much to the discomfiture of tribal elders like John Pendragon.
    https://greengalloway.blogspot.co.uk/2005/03/

So, the opposition is maybe less binary than one might thing, at least as it was lived in the UK.

My memory is blurry, but weren't PM Dawn, De La soul and most definitely Arrested Development some sort of Hip hop Hippies? Or at least that was theirsales pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Alistair at GreenGalloway
    ya I've read a couple things, also familiar w/the history cos I was a peacepunk obsessive freak as a kid

Hawkwind is definitely a/the spiritual forefather but the real ties are bands like Zounds, The Mob, Blood Robots, etc w/free rock scene - Fuck Off Records is a relevant label

+ obv Crass were literal hippies

later on there's crust/traveller crossover I think? to an extent anyway. Amebix/Disorder also famously lived together in squats in Bristol.

unfortunately it's mostly not reflected in the music besides maybe The Mob

an interesting + mostly forgotten piece of history anyway

My memory is blurry, but weren't PM Dawn, De La soul and most definitely Arrested Development some sort of Hip hop Hippies? Or at least that was theirsales pitch.
    De La Soul were pretty acid-house, weren't they? Which was a sort of flower-power MkII in itself.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    De La Soul were pretty acid-house, weren't they? Which was a sort of flower-power MkII in itself.
    Methinks you might confuse them with The Jungle Brothers.

"Hip Hop hippies" - none of this had any kind of popular traction beyond the marketing of these bands. I think the strangeness of Lil B (mentioned upthread I think) has a better claim to being psychedelic - it's genuinely weird, and breaks with the musical conventions of rap much more radically - decentres the author, lets stream of consciousness dominate, genuinely meant challenge to raps's machismo, and ceaseless production being some of the ways. Should really start listening to him again.

Paidrag - feel free to up some Mob tracks if any fit? Would like to hear. But yeah, I get the impression that this stuff was rooted in the live scene on the traveller circuit. The Crass I've heard seems to have that edge of creativity that you could characterise as psychedelic if you were being v generous.

Methinks you might confuse them with The Jungle Brothers.
    Haha, you know what, I somehow managed to read 'De La Soul' as 'Deee-Lite'. As you were.