Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The only music worth its salt is psychedelic..

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    My memory is blurry, but weren't PM Dawn, De La soul and most definitely Arrested Development some sort of Hip hop Hippies? Or at least that was theirsales pitch.
    Well there's a whole side of hip-hop that's all about the Afrocentric mysticism - I'm thinking of that Killah Priest guy that craner loves so much - which is very psychedelic but I think also quite far removed from (stereotypical white) hippiedom.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

idk about specific tracks, their whole style is mid-tempo anarchopunk with a dark/psychedelic edge. Let the Tribe Increase is a great record anyway.

you also see them referenced in re "death rock", tho probably Rudimentary Peni - also psychedelic albeit in a different way - is more relevant there

Zounds is closer to a kind of shaggy free-rock vibe, + they definitely had playing chops v few other people in that scene did

Crass I wouldn't call psychedelic but v hippieish, as indeed their roots were - look up Wally Hope for the backstory. sonically not v hippie either, lots of dissonance.

to quote G.I.S.M. punk is hippies after all. but usually not v psychedelic tho.

wrong drugs. alcohol is the least psychedelic substance on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Haha, you know what, I somehow managed to read 'De La Soul' as 'Deee-Lite'. As you were.
    Deee-Lite fit the hippy bill very well, though. A bit hippy-ish also were The B52's. And Urge Overkill. In fact, looking back, there were quite some hippy-revivalisms going on in the early 90s pop-music.

One of my friends sent me an article about cocaine earlier, only of interest as it said that cocaine use has rocketed over the years while ecstacy and LSD has declined

Why would anyone take coke to party when E is available, I mean fucksake.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    to quote G.I.S.M. punk is hippies after all. but usually not v psychedelic tho.

wrong drugs. alcohol is the least psychedelic substance on earth.
    I semi-dispute this. Hangovers are psychedelic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to STN For This Useful Post:

One of the problems with psychedelic music of old is the use of once mind blowing sounds which subsequently became codified as psychedelic and so now sound extremely bland and twee. This is a classic 'time barrier' situation (hello Luka) innit? Again I'm thinking of the obvious psychedelic music of the 60s 70s. Tie dye, Krishna.

Perhaps the same has happened with the futurist psychedelica of the 90s too - 'greys', neon grids, etc.?

The abstract psychedelica of Crystl's 'Warp drive' however, remains potent... Psychedelica as sensory rather than (pseudo, some would say) spiritual.

Villalobos makes very psychedelic music.

I guess in popular music there's generally no psychedelic feeling. It's digital, processed, clean, flat, squashed into a glassy plane. I still think music can be great with all these qualities but there's definitely a lack of depth to it. It isn't a higher reality it's a hyperreality. 'The Real'... On acid! (Or Coke, more likely).

Maybe it's a sign of the times - fair to say the 80s wasn't a particularly psychedelic decade? Or is this a cliche, the coked up neoliberal 80s, big suits, big phones... And then the MDMA injection in the 90s and there's a resurgence of all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    One of the problems with psychedelic music of old is the use of once mind blowing sounds which subsequently became codified as psychedelic and so now sound extremely bland and twee. This is a classic 'time barrier' situation (hello Luka) innit? Again I'm thinking of the obvious psychedelic music of the 60s 70s. Tie dye, Krishna.

Perhaps the same has happened with the futurist psychedelica of the 90s too - 'greys', neon grids, etc.?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

These symbols of otherworldliness and mysticism age badly. Thinking of Yeats, who I've been amateurishly studying a bit lately - his early stuff, all faeries and dew drops, totally dated and embarrassing even within his own lifetime.

No doubt connected to the form that the imagination CAN take in any given epoch

Also, he use to write and then actually post letters to himself.

If he was around now, he'd probably think that Teresa May faked a chemical weapons attack in Syria.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Early Yeats, though, is part of that whole English late pre-Raphaelite, Aesthetic "fleshly school" movement, like the French Symbolists and Decadents, scratching around the sparks of Modernism.

If you want a laugh, read the poetry of William Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Boldly leading with the Joker in the pack there cos if the sex pistols are psychedelic I have NO IDEA what it means
    “Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?”