The only music worth its salt is psychedelic..

luka

the space we break into (" "The 'magic moment' or moment of metamorphosis, bust thru' from quotidien into 'divine or permanent world" E.P.), beyond that threshold.

we have to insist on changes of state although perhaps we neednt characterise them as transcendences.

if you add heat to an element it will stay the same (albeit warmer!) until a certain temperature is reached and then blam! the reaction happens. (right Tea?)

luka

because psychedelia is a utopian project the idea of higher/bigger/better is probably baked into it.
the idea of spiritual progress is probably baked into it.

the idea that we are doing this all wrong. that we can be so much happier and more fulfilled and so on.
that we owe it to ourselves to get better, heal ourselves, recover our latent powers, achieve our potential etc

the psychedelic state seems to want to be reverse-engineered.

Last edited:

luka

so this for instance, which sonically is not 'trippy' i would characterise as psychedelic i think.

luka

a properly psychedelic music in 2018 would have to teach us something new. whether that is something we always were able to do without being aware of it, or if it's genuinely new trick doesn't much matter. it has to expand us in some way. we know all these tricks already. this is the nub of the matter. we know how to do these things. it's easy. we need new challenges.

that is to say, music which requires us to learn a new way of listening before we can begin to process it. that's what I look for, in literature too...

luka

I'd assert, the most people that Woebot refers to in his original post, they want the obvious emotions, the all-too-human emotions, to be triggered

this kind of pushing the pleasure buttons is too easy and i think as with all hedonic triggers, the effect deteriorates with repetition.
(why you cant just listen to your one favourite song on an eternal loop and feel great all the time as a result)

luka

incidentally if anyone ever wanted to read my poems and stuff or even half the things i write here they should read them first on acid or mushrooms or dmt and they will i think make much more sense. it's psychedelic poetry. all this rubbish im always banging on about trying to set the world on fire.....

Poetry is Embodied Thought.
Poetry is Lived Thought
Poetry does not seek a Truth separate from and independent of the
Biochemical Moment.

Poetry is the truth of moments.
Poetry is the fully realised moment.
The moment in which Time
slows
to a standstill. The moment which contains eternity.

Consider how Nietzsche's thought plays between the poles of
Health & Sickness, Depression & Mania
and does not split the difference
but rather plumbs the depths of one and scales the heights
of the other, and extracts the teaching proper to each sphere.
Communes with the indigenous gods.

Each dimension has is own laws.

You have no identity beyond the play of forces.
the ever-shifting balance of power.

A FEW FACTS.
What is true in condition a, deflates, becomes comical
Under condition b. Is still true, but not here.
King at point a in gyre, fool at point b.
Don’t hold tongue, wait too long, and it won’t be true anymore,
Spit it out while it’s still hot. Act.
The words can become hollow when the sentence is still in the mouth,
Trail off, embarrassment.

Woebot

yep. anything with a crypto-vedic agenda.

although, thinking about it, "agenda" is the wrong expression really. it's not some kind of tactical cultural positioning.

FOR INSTANCE THIS HAS AN AGENDA AND COULD NOT BE LESS PSYCHEDELIC

luka

this is Charles Olson
Objectism is the getting rid of the lyrical interference of the individual as ego, of the “subject” and his soul, that peculiar presumption by which western man has interposed himself between what he is as a creature of nature (with certain instructions to carry out) and those other creations of nature which we may, with no derogation, call objects. For a man is himself an object, whatever he may take to be his advantages

this is John Berger

oil paintings did to appearances what capital did to social relations. It reduced everything to the equality of objects. Everything became exchangeable because everything became a commodity.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that is to say, music which requires us to learn a new way of listening before we can begin to process it. that's what I look for, in literature too...

I'm not sure if that is even at all possible anymore. We've hit terminal velocity. we can hear the most far out generative music algorithms with the click of a mouse. Mind you thats a v niche taste.

Is trap, autotune rap etc forcing us to listen in a new way anymore, I would say no in 2018.

With the timbaland/neptunes era it was all about shiney surfaces, slick spacecrafts etc. the sublimation of the afrofuturist imaginary into the every day. Where was there left to go from there on?

Lo-fi can't capture the disembodied high end weightlessness of dub in contrast to the weight of the b-lines. we don't seem to have that dichotomy anymore. It's a cliche just as much as everything else. you can see bucketloads of lo fi house being churned out, straight off the assembly line.

luka

I'm not sure if that is even at all possible anymore. We've hit terminal velocity. we can hear the most far out generative music algorithms with the click of a mouse. Mind you thats a v niche taste.

Is trap, autotune rap etc forcing us to listen in a new way anymore, I would say no in 2018.

With the timbaland/neptunes era it was all about shiney surfaces, slick spacecrafts etc. the sublimation of the afrofuturist imaginary into the every day. Where was there left to go from there on?

Lo-fi can't capture the disembodied high end weightlessness of dub in contrast to the weight of the b-lines. we don't seem to have that dichotomy anymore. It's a cliche just as much as everything else. you can see bucketloads of lo fi house being churned out, straight off the assembly line.

"Unexhausted and undiscovered is still man and man's world. "

luka

"A thousand paths are there which have never yet been trodden; a thousand salubrities and hidden islands of life."

luka

i dont think it's about the formal possibilities of sound so much as it is about representing and embodying a new ratio,
a drastically reconfigured balance of power, a new way of being in the world.

luka

a newly conceptualised and implemented body without organs capable of a whole new range of action and affect.

luka

i think it can to the extent that anything can.

which is not to say people shouldnt try to tease out the implications and ramifications with words. to extend that discourse and enter into dialogue with that discourse in non-musical directions.

but music is conceptual, among other things.

Last edited: