Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decluttering

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    As I understand the lore on this issue, attempting to simply discard a cursed object will either invite immediate disaster or end up with the object somehow eventually coming back into your possession. The only way to get rid of both object and curse is to trick someone into accepting it as a gift. Then you get to laugh maniacally and yell "At last, I'm free!" while the recipient looks doubtfully at their new possession.
    Reminds me, do you still want that Peaches CD?

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    First world woes, file next to obesity, etc.

YT channels popping up like fungi, advocating the benefits of a streamlined life. Marie Kondo reckons you should bow to your socks and thank them! It's all a bit fucking la-la.

On the other hand, I've always had this aversion to having too much stuff, especially books, records, etc. It's relative because what's 'piling up' in a one-bed flat would probably be way minimalist in a 2-bed house with garage and garden. A few people I know have started flogging off their music collections and, for a brief second, I thought: what if I did it too? I mean, do I really need that NWW album with the rubber dominatrix with her tits out? Is anyone into this or is it way too Grauniad Zen to contemplate?
    did you see that doc on netflix? "The Minimalists" it did make me retch a bit - as much as there some truth in there, it's definitely a trip for the hipster batchelor.

actually that it was on Netflix was interesting in itself - there's an aspect of these streaming platforms which is geared towards/in sympathy with decluttering. it might even be a good thing! humanity's next stage etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebot View Post
    "The Minimalists" it did make me retch a bit - as much as there some truth in there, it's definitely a trip for the hipster batchelor.
    I saw them doing something on a TED talk on YT - OTM with the hipster batchelor remark. So much so, I decided to spend the weekend doing frivolous things instead and my flat looks like a bomb's hit it.