GUESS THE AUTHOR

luka

Believe it or not, in my crazy world, Dario Argento and Paris Hilton are on a par, and that's a high par...

luka

Yeah, but those two are more or less unknown to anyone but the few experts. The existence and influence of Can/Neu/Faust/Kraftwerk/Tangerine Dream, and probably Amon Düül II/Popol Vuh/Cluster too, is almost basic knowledge for everyone interested in rock history. Der Plan/Palais Schaumburg are as obscure as minor kraut groups like, say, Embryo or Guru Guru. That's not to say that they aren't great or that you can't place them in some kind of personal canon, but it's not like music history would be much different without them.

As for the "bad music era", I highly disagree. I think a lot of interesting things were going on then, not least with industrial and/or EBM, styles very influenced by german groups. But except for Neubauten, none of the really important mid-to-late 80s contributions to these styles was made by germans. And that is very odd I think, especially because there was a huge scene for it in germany.

Last edited:

luka

when I think of England I think of: builder's tea, pies, breakfast, dark beer and K Cider, London, squats, Indian take-away, baked beans, racist nans, wet bricks, round-abouts, little cars that all look the same, trains, Fruit Pastilles, JD Sports, juice concentrate, back gardens with ponds in them, door knockers and post flaps, crisps in pubs (esp. walker's cheese and onion), pirate radio, documentaries on prime time television, the news being eternally about missing children, "lemonade", sparkling or still, walk left stand right, please put your hood down sir, and people enjoying rocky beaches on cloudy, cold days.

luka

i once lived for a year in an apartment complex, a brutalist social housing thing built in the 1960s. for all its desolation it was cheap and i was treated to a spectacular view of airplanes leaving the airport in the distance, very large windows that bled into the city. i was engulfed by the night for the first time.

being incredibly lonely for the first time in the city i decided to 'make a friend of horror', in the sense of abandoning myself to cheap 80s fare, the things that could be heard on the radio at 3 am. i wanted to embrace the city. my mental guide was a tune i had heard once on the radio but could not for the life of me remember who it was by. all i knew was that there were several voices over a sensual, drifting nocturnal thing, that it was probably a late 80s production, that was it.

so i played phil collins' in the air tonight, sade's i never thought i'd see the day, maxi priest's close to you. i discovered rude movements by sun palace, added some suicide to the mix. all of this was to me the music of the late shift.

i eventually left this place but i couldn't get that mystery track out of my head. i was beginning to think i had imagined it, abstracted it from different sources, but a few years later i found it. yes it's glossy, it's bloated, but it drifts magnificently. when i hear it i'm one with the thousands of people who toil away through the night, people who want to abandon themselves to sleep but can't, who lapse into sensual reverie. to me this is the sound of the city at night.

luka

Does anyone remember that slob Tubby Isaacs, who used to sell jellied eels down Whitechapel at closing time? Is he dead?

luka

EAsy! IM VIRGINal, BREAK ME IN! (not my backdoors and not litterally! ok)

luka

- not so say everything by everyone on this list was essential,
but these other individuals were sometimes important parts of what is called Neue Deutsche Welle.
Gudrun Gut of Malaria ! and Beate Bartel of LD were both in original version of ENB,
it was a social scene , the W Berlin klubs were hot , friends supported friends ,

luka

K-Punk in his Cicero-like 'Pro Girls Aloud' epideictic never actually adressed the toilet racism.

luka

we are still waiting for something truly new. but it's coming. it will be punk in the sense that it will be totally DIY and controlled by the creators. it will involve guitars and music software being used in different homemade and non-audiophile ways.

luka

there is a strand of US-influenced UKHC but it's not until later. The Stupids, Ripchord, Heresy, contemporaries of the crust pioneers as you probably know as a kid I was hugely into Amebix, Axegrinder, Deviated Instinct, etc as well as Doom, ENT - the two sides of crust, crust proper and crustcore, if you will. don't think SxE really hit the UK/Europe til the late 80s/early 90s? could be wrong. the guys from Larm were I believe, p sure their later band Seein' Red was. I do know vegan SxE metallic hxc was HUGE in Europe in the 90s.

luka

Originally Posted by hundredmillionlifetimes View Post
No, it is you who urgently needs to fuck off, you mindless turd.
hml, i'm sure you're frustrated, but i think you may have crossed a line here

luka

the West (in the broadest sense) has a chequered history which includes unequivocally good things (concepts like democracy, equality, freedom of speech etc.) as well as things in which the good is mixed with the bad and a clear moral verdict is difficult, if not impossible (imperialism, slavery and so on)

luka

The key thing though is NOT the specifics of collapse, but the way in which that will undermine the stranglehold on the popular imagination- if only it can be channelled correctly- it contradicts fundamentally much of late-kapital's underlying mechanisms, its internal inevitability that removes other possibilities by rendering them as the impossible. It also completely refutes the underlying assumptions of the Amerikkkan dream, with all its expectations of infinite expansion and arrogant assurance in its own pre-destiny.

luka

whats the point of planning for the future when there is no future?

if it all gets wiped out so that not even a single trace exists, then did it matter?

luka

It's the same reasoning I used in my thread called "My Plan to Destroy Capitalism"

luka

in craner's analysis there's this dogged fatalism (hidden admittedly with erudition and a faintly creepy if enjoyable exultation in destruction)- 'governments (or indeed business) always act in their own interests, have always done will always do'- which seems so utterly point-missing.