Songs of Joy

luka

again i feel im just one or two degrees short of joy here. falling foul of the sensible party/joy distinction.

luka

at his core luka's a drunk jamaican uncle dancing too close to the barbecue and feeling nostalgic.

the compulsion to dance is strongly linked to joy to me. like not being able to help it. whats the name of the thing
in the um, novel, fuck

luka

becasue its the body throwing off the shackles isnt it. taking the brakes off. showing you how to enjoy.

Set in 1920s New York City, the novel depicts the elderly Harlem houngan PaPa LaBas and his companion Black Herman racing
against the Wallflower Order, an international conspiracy dedicated to monotheism and control, as they attempt to root out the cause of and deal with the "Jes Grew" virus, a personification of ragtime, jazz, polytheism, and freedom.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
becasue its the body throwing off the shackles isnt it. taking the brakes off. showing you how to enjoy.

Set in 1920s New York City, the novel depicts the elderly Harlem houngan PaPa LaBas and his companion Black Herman racing

Beware the Petro Loa

luka

craner is tiny. he could esaiy wear that. i'll buy it for him.

bjork (who you hate but bear with me) described jungle music as 'fierce joy'
which i still think is great and i still nick that line all the time.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
oliver craner's entry music. bond suit, bow tie, champers in one hand, a peruvian bombshell in the other

He's got hoes in NY in DKNY

Very close, but again, partay not joy. Fun isn't the same as joy, I don't think. I don't have a religious background but mebbe being over whatsit with it, but I don't think so. I went over alot of the Bad Boy stuff when I was researching this, cos love it, but just partay. Sooooooooooooo good though, fuxxake.

luka

yeah i do think there is a liminal zone though where the party can attain a joyous dimension.
think of how all that early house and garage (ny/chicago) lot talked for instance.

sadmanbarty

i know, i just get over excited when someone mentions craner. i just want to poke him and play with him. like when a toddler can't stop harassing a perturbed cat.

luka

i 100% accept and agree it's a distinction and a dividing line but also i think there are records that blur it or even obliterate it

luka

yeah i do think there is a liminal zone though where the party can attain a joyous dimension.
think of how all that early house and garage (ny/chicago) lot talked for instance.

like id want to claim this record for that liminal zone. the chorus for me reaches that pitch.

luka

like when it kicks in i cant contain myself. i swell up. fit to burst. it fills me. (is that useful? being filled lol)