Songs of Joy

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
idk if this is still going in, but if so let me add this late entry from an early Aleem brothers project

the chord progression/vocal line combination reminds me of a Pixies song but I can't place which one (if anyone can tell me, it's been driving me slightly nuts)

anyway, joy of unabashed disco(ish) variety, music take you higher on a rainbow, plus whichever brother is singing lead is absolutely getting it

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
My 5 songs about joy ended up being these, with write ups, but it was as much about being pissed off that I couldn't decide what joy was as it was about joy, eventually. I'll link to the podcast when I get it.

1)
4Hero
Les Fleur

Joy is impossible, and thus this task. For me, there’s only one song that epitomises joy in its entirety and essence, and it’s this. The original of this is by Minnie Riperton. This version is a good example of how a cover can better than an original. Essentially this is exactly the same as the original, just replayed and tweaked, but it’s everything you wanted the original to be, it’s everything you hear in the original that isn’t there, but it’s remade so exactly - it’s a post modern exercise, like Gus Van Sant remaking Psycho shot by shot, but in this instant, keeps, accentuates and heightens the joy of the original. It’s unimpeachable, and I defy you not to raise your hands to the sky and punch the air when it kicks in.
God can be joy.

2)
Husker Du
Eight Miles High

Another example of something which probably betters the original, though I love that too. There’s a conspiracy theory that says that all of the sixties bands were government agents, and in which case, this is the annihilation of them. No-one has ever screamed so good, before or since (sorry Tina) and this utterance, when it happens - and you’ll know when it does - is a sound of joy. I love the way you think it’s run out of steam at 2:22 - the song feels like it’s been going on for ages by that point - and then Bob just comes back in exactly how you feel, exactly how you feel at the moment he sings it. It’s perfect. It’s like the frustration of the moment that you’re in, while you’re cognisant of the moment you’re in, and being able to screan it at exactly the moment it becomes apparent to everyone.
Frustration can be joy.

3)
Ireland Fans
The Fields of Athenry

Communal singing does it for me. This, singing as Ireland are being beaten 4-0 to Spain, remains one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard, and reduces me to a useless puddle. It says everything about defiance in the face of defeat, and solidarity, and oneness, and is just joy, and proves football as experienced by the British Isles and Ireland as being one of the greatest things ever.
Defeat is joy.

4)
Msawawa
Bowungakanani

Children’s voices definitely bring joy, don’t they (no pedo). I could equally have put any early Michael Jackson in here, The Osmonds, France Gall, or Leon Sylvers III. There’s something about kids having fun in a recording studio that just (italics) translates. I chose this one just cos the production is soooooo boss.
Joy can be joy.

5)
The Wombles
Remember You’re A Womble

It’s hard to explain to people who weren’t there just how huge a cultural force The Wombles were. That they were picked up by an anarchist group later on is no coincidence. Lots of this faux-glam stuff I find hugely joyous - see also the Bay City Rollers - but chosen this one just cos it’s one of the rare times that the Top of The Pops audience actually look like they’re having a really good time. I don’t know if the Wombles ever toured - how could they in those costumes - but god can you imagine what great gigs they would have been.
Dressing up as animals can be joy.

luka

craner sang with joy when he heard little arab children were murdered in their beds