Songs of Joy

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_kEeDeV-e48" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fCSq2NKk9ng" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FbJp0sZJMJI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Admittedly more rap heavy than I should be thinking but

luka

yeah interesting. I don't think I've had - in personal life - transcendence without joy. I've been thinking alot about your Miles n Coltrane stuff, but obviously translating it into Gary Numan and Depeche Mode.

obviously!

luka

but have you had joy without transcendence. i mean this is just the way ive personally defined the word for myself
to me its like this

baseline
this aint bad
i actually feel alright tbh
wait a minute...
am i.....
happy?
i think
i think
this is
happiness?
it really feels good!
bloody hell it's escalating
it's joy! joy! joy!
halleluhjah
WHITE LIGHT
CUT OUT POINT
TRANSCENDENCE
GURGLING BLISS
ECSTACY
return.

so that joy takes place before the cut out. at the highest pitch before transcendence when you can
hold it still as immanence though its threatening to dematerialise.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
obviously!

Gary Numan is just this perpetual plateau, whereas Depeche always went for the immanence. I don't particularly like either of them (see also Davis and Coltrane) which is why I kinda translated them into it. Obviously listen and appreciate all of them etc etc.

mistersloane

but have you had joy without transcendence. i mean this is just the way ive personally defined the word for myself
to me its like this

baseline
this aint bad
i actually feel alright tbh
wait a minute...
am i.....
happy?
i think
i think
this is
happiness?
it really feels good!
bloody hell it's escalating
it's joy! joy! joy!
halleluhjah
WHITE LIGHT
CUT OUT POINT
TRANSCENDENCE
GURGLING BLISS
ECSTACY
return.

so that joy takes place before the cut out. at the highest pitch before transcendence when you can
hold it still as immanence though its threatening to dematerialise.

mistersloane be like :

I hate this, this is shit
oh wait this is fun
oh this is really good fun
oh this is reaaaaaaally good fun
oh I'm happy
oh I'm reaaaaaaallly happy
*superblaster*
oh I'm joyous
then
God is love etc etc

mistersloane

mistersloane be like :

I hate this, this is shit
oh wait this is fun
oh this is really good fun
oh this is reaaaaaaally good fun
oh I'm happy
oh I'm reaaaaaaallly happy
*superblaster*
oh I'm joyous
then
God is love etc etc

So yeah you're right. Songs like that, please.

luka

im trying to work out if curtis mayfield ever reaches the right pitch of intensity and full-throatedness for this thread
i want him too becasue hes one of my few heroes.

luka

ah, its the obvious one.... it's always the obvious one.
you cant hide joy in a 'deep cut'

luka

theres an exhileration and a huge sense of fun in junior walkers music, but is it joy?
if youre receptive it can make you feel joyful, expansive, heart swollen, breathing big ragged delicious breaths

luka

realise that will be firmly behind the barbed wire and breezeblocks of the time barrier for most of you.

mistersloane

ah, its the obvious one.... it's always the obvious one.
you cant hide joy in a 'deep cut'

Obviously Curtis is genius. Me? I never found him joyous at all, see what Barty said (explained it better than me). I love Curtis but no. Maybe all the joy has gone in me. Looking at it, some people say joy is a thing that you live with, some people say joy isn't pleasure. I equate joy with an awakening, y'know, the religious thing. I get it with Curtis and that track and we play it alot but it doesn't send me to joy, just happeniness. Happeniness :)