QUANTUM LEVEL BREAKBEAT SCIENCE

luka

what tunes actually justify the term breakbeat science not just any old chopped breakbeats pls must mash your mind and change your conception of time and space

luka

basically this is what i call a fishing thread. trying to tempt barty into saying stuff like this
not in 94, probably not by late 93 either. the snare emphasis moving away from the 2 and 4 is one of the things that delineates jungle from hardcore. jungle's physicality; the way it tugs you sideways, the way it pulls you off balance, is all dependant on it not landing on both the 2 and 4 in the same bar.

Leo

photek came to mind but when i went back and listened just now, it wasn't quite as, err, scientific as i remember it being at the time. i thought tracks like KJZ, hidden cameras and Ni - Ten - Ichi - Ryu were so futuristic but now sound fine but probably not up the the challenge of this topic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
basically this is what i call a fishing thread. trying to tempt barty into saying stuff like this

I think by 95 things got waaaaaaay less physical. hardcore-jungle is way more frantic than jungle proper.

Last edited:

luka

dont have to time to go through these right now but much appreciated. look forward to digging in.

luka

didnt say nuffink about rhythm did i? but i understand the distinction youre making (for once)
the 4 hero i jst like becasue of the different ways the same break of processed i guess. the permutations.

firefinga

Jungle is the gift that keeps on giving. When the music was new I was a teenager. Now 20+ years later I listen to tracks again and still discover new nuances and ideas regarding the craft of breakbeat manipulation.

luka

ach! aka lee kirk fagan is much a musical prodigy he can beatbox all the amen edits in the correct order for
the following tunes
(not joking)

You Don't Know (remix)
Ja Know Ya Big
splash babylon
piano tune

and probaly one or two others