Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iran again

Have you ever written anything about MEK? They seem like... not good people.

Yes, of course I have. You mean, you didn't read it?
    Last edited by craner; 16-05-2019 at 09:04 AM.

An unforgivable lapse.
    Last edited by droid; 16-05-2019 at 09:09 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

We all make mistakes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    He's a fan of the MEK.
    yeh but i mean is he a psychopath or something? it's only been a few weeks since he tried to destroy venezuela and he already moved on to his next target. does he need war to be able to sleep?

This is one of his key texts: Beyond the Axis of Evil: Additional Threats from Weapons of Mass Destruction

He has always had an expansive view and conflated Latin American, Arab and Islamic regimes as similar threats. He likes to scope the outer realms of the possible, way beyond official government policy (although in the Trump administration, who knows?) and enjoys the external opprobrium. He relished his short lived UN ambassadorship, acting in this style.

He has had operational experience, it is not all verbosity. The early chapters of his fairly legalistic memoir Surrender is Not an Option detail his instrumental role as Under Secretary of State for Arms Control during the Bush administration's withdrawal from the ABM Treaty and the ICC.

He always used to be labelled a Neocon but he is more of a basic nationalist security hawk along the lines of Rumsfeld. He is a dyed-in-the-wool GOP Conservative Movement Barry Goldwater guy and that's where he comes from. He never converted from anything; there are no ideological complications or subtleties.

So, yeah, he's basically a psychopath.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

from axios (actual wapo story behind their paywall)

President Trump thinks some of his top advisers "could rush the United States into a military confrontation with Iran and shatter his long-standing pledge to withdraw from costly foreign wars," the WashPost reports:

"Trump prefers a diplomatic approach to resolving tensions and wants to speak directly with Iran’s leaders."

"Trump grew angry ... over the weekend about what he sees as warlike planning that is getting ahead of his own thinking," per conversations about national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

Dispute over the intelligence: "The intelligence that caused the White House to escalate its warnings about a threat from Iran came from photographs of missiles on small boats in the Persian Gulf," the N.Y. Times reports:

But there are "questions about the underlying intelligence, and complaints by lawmakers that they had not been briefed on it."

"[O]ther officials — including Europeans, Iraqis, members of both parties in Congress and some senior officials within the Trump administration — said Iran’s moves might mostly be defensive against what Tehran believes are provocative acts by Washington."

Yeah, I was under the impression that a part of Trump's popularity was due to his criticism of previous presidents' hawkish foreign policies (GWB more so than Obama, actually) and reticence as regards boots-on-the-ground deployment - to the point that even some on the left were prepared to call him the less-bad option compared to Hillary Clinton. (Of course this doesn't include the incessant drone warfare, and in his need to look 'tough' in Syria and shake off accusations of Russian influence on US foreign policy, I think he topped Obama's eight-year civilian death toll total from drone strikes within the first few months of his presidency - and has recently overturned Obama's disclosure agreement that mandated government transparency on these figures.)

He does actually seem to have achieved something with regard to North Korea, weirdly enough, but it could all still go horribly tits-up with Iran.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

although I'm not sure much of anything tangible has been achieved with North Korea. yes, they haven't bombed anyone yet, so that's good. one could even say kim has come out ahead, since he hasn't curtailed any production or testing, and has had his profile raised at home and on the world stage by meeting with trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    although I'm not sure much of anything tangible has been achieved with North Korea. yes, they haven't bombed anyone yet, so that's good. one could even say kim has come out ahead, since he hasn't curtailed any production or testing, and has had his profile raised at home and on the world stage by meeting with trump.
    I guess I wasn't setting the bar very high - I just mean they met face-to-face and it wasn't a total disaster (e.g. recommencement of open hostilities in the peninsula).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Does anyone believe the pathetic bullshit coming out of the straits atm?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tanker-attacks

Bolton seems intent on destroying the US's hard power capabilities, as Trump has done with their soft power. The fuckers might go for it too, especially since things are really not looking good for 2020.

It's hard to believe that Iran would attack a Japanese ship whilst Abe was in Tehran.