Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Childish Gambino

not so long ago i heard someone say they hate African music because it doesnt situate itself in an oppositional relationship to Babylon in the way Jamaican music does.

now that's indisputably (and flamboyantly) ignorant and yet valuing and finding inspiration in that oppositional stance is not, in itself, a bad thing. it might lead you to turn into The Clash, but as a starting point i dont consider it contemptible.

what seems more thorny is a failure to grasp that while the image of black people has come, for historical-political reasons, to symbolise resistance (among a 1000 other things) its not an intrinsic biological propety or some sort of moral imperative all black musicians have to live up to (or be declared inauthentically black)

again see zhao et al on the 50cent thread.
    Last edited by luka; 12-05-2018 at 04:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

kamilia bazzi
    ‏ @kamiliabazzi
    May 8

#ThisIsAmerica will go down in history. Will be played in future classrooms & put in textbooks

Kristina Sullivan
    ‏ @Stinaaa_sul
    May 9

Okay but everyone needs to watch #ThisIsAmerica rn. Like everyone needs to sit and reflect on what happens here and we need to actually fix it

Brennan March
    ‏ @BrennanMarch
    May 8

I think that everyone making memes about about the #ThisIsAmerica video and commenting on how good the dancing is are just furthering the point the video was trying to make. Western society has a serious problem and I think the majority of the public refuses to see that...
    1 reply 21 retweets 116 likes
    Tiffany Williams
    ‏ @TiffanyTeaches
    May 8

Sza's cameo. She's a woman. She's silent. She's watching us and the action and looking gorgeous while doing it. Could her cameo be a commentary on black women being forced into the "I'm so pretty" role? No adlibs from her. Seen but not heard?#hiphoped #ThisIsAmerica

Mashaal Mir
    ‏ @MashaalMir
    May 9

Did you catch all the themes in Childish Gambino's “#ThisisAmerica”? Check out my piece about the different layers & nuances of the music video

Mizy Musthafa
    ‏ @MizyMusthafa
    May 9

I love Childish Gambino’s #ThisIsAmerica so much - it has given so much for us to delve into. The symbolism, culture, and history.

Not just another song with just another video.
    3 replies 29 retweets 126 likes

LindaCochina.
    ‏ @_marmaid
    May 9

Peep your current favorite "woke" celebrity (w the all seeing eye on his jacket) do the baphomet salute at the Illuminati Ball. #ThisIsAmerica

IWantSeparationBecauseOfYourRacism
    ‏ @Separate_Now
    17h17 hours ago

#thisisamerica video - Looking at the white reactions to this video on Youtube, they seem to think this video is just about blk-on-blk crime. Even the choir scene most if not all of them thought it was about something else -e.g Las Vegas shooting. They have ZERO insight/empathy.

Jensen Rubinstein
    ‏ @Jensensayyys
    May 10

Jensen Rubinstein Retweeted INSIDER

This video is truly a piece of art. Childish Gambino for a Pulitzer Prize 🏆 #ThisIsAmerica

Tara L. Samples
    ‏ @TaraLSamples
    May 11

I see Waffle Houses across the country closing in the very near future. Bad management = unemployed employees who need a job to take care of their families. #ThisIsAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Dean Blunt, (who i have never listened to,)
    wouldnt get the same response for the same moves becuase, who the fuck is that\?
    Irony there.

Contrast what he says and opines with...

blm.jpg

The BBC are airing Atlanta from the start tomorrow. Sunday, 10pm, BBC2.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Tyler
    Tyler
    1 hour ago
    I see a lot of comments praising the 17 seconds of silence as a respectful thing to do but I don’t think that was the point at all. During the 17 seconds you can still hear gunshots and violence happening, then at the end he lights a cigarette apathetically. It shows how 17 seconds does nothing and people don’t really care about it. The 17 seconds happens and violence continues. I believe it’s satire in order to show how useless 17 seconds of silence is as opposed to actually doing something about violence in America
    desireewhy
    desireewhy
    49 minutes ago
    true.
    Mr .DarkNC
    Mr .DarkNC
    45 minutes ago
    That’s what the shooting is that’s what they heard in the shooting my dude
    Oliver 2000
    Oliver 2000
    43 minutes ago
    A song and video designed to give the impression that "this means something" "this means something" when in reality it meant nothing. Says something about society when deliberately inaudible and random incomprehensible lyrics and the strong atmosphere created in this song/video that says "this is deep, provocative and meaningful" is enough for us to fill in our own connotations about racism etc. Watch the lyric video. Look, what they had in mind was how can this song/video be a hit, successful and popular. The 'meaning' was obvious, that people are too focused on dancing and arbitrary things in America and are not seeing the problems in the background. However it was put across very poorly, in fact it wasn't put across. It was actually conforming to society, and would have been more provoking if he had said the opposite of this video, something I kind of respect Kanye for. This is what people want to see. Something that genuinely has a message about society is usually not. What's more the gist of the message was total bullshit, that social media is distracting us from the reality of people getting shot with Kalashnikovs in the background? And if anything shootings get too much attention and are glorified (mainly for personal gain), people across America aren't supposed to just carry on living their life's after things such as the Charleston massacre? But I suppose some meaning can be derived from it and it was a nice video.
    Apollyon
    Apollyon
    35 minutes ago
    That is a joint not a cigarette.
    stevenmael
    stevenmael
    30 minutes ago
    Pearls before swine.

bobhijita
    bobhijita
    25 minutes ago
    that's a spliff not a cigarette. i like your interpretation of the 17 secs. makes a lot of sense. The spliff is about numbing.

Bubba Hotep
    18 minutes ago
    Honestly how can anyone understand shit from that garbage. Plus I’m one of those people that gonna go about his day like normal no matter what happens. What is everyone supposed to just stop what they are doing when something bad happens and each person in the world think of ways they could solve that problem. Please that’s the problem with society today. Everyone acts like they care so much and just want what’s best for not just them but everyone. Again please I’d prefer not to see no violence but unless it directly effects me then I don’t give a fuck. Just like the majority of people but a lot of that majority want to put on a show like they care. This video does nothing but show what most people think already. Blacks blame all their problems on someone else and it ain’t never any of their own doing. Take some responsibility and stop with all the world must stop shit when something happens. I got my own problems I ain’t losing sleep over nothing. Especially something happening to other people

Punan Habit
    Punan Habit
    10 minutes ago
    Its hard for most to tell whats really going on behind the gun violence situations in America as depicted in this video, so I'll break it down for you. A communist named "Soros" has funded and promoted most major recent gun violence situations behind the scenes for 1 main purpose... to create a reason to try and strip us of our gun rights - The 2nd Ammendment. Why? So we cant fight back during a time of takeover, which a group of evil people (families) that stem from the progressive liberal left have been planning for over 100 years. Most people are just tools that have been helping to advance the progressive lefts agenda unknowingly for decades. You've been progressed for 1 reason only - to keep you quiet, complacent, and submissive as they carry on with their "fundamental transformation" of America. How? Through your beloved media for one, tarded education system for another, social strife, broken family unit, etc. I know its hard to understand what Im saying here, but these gun violence situations have been planned and staged in the hopes of making enough people think that weapons are evil, so they could garner enough support from voters in order to enact unconstitutional legislation that strips us of our 2nd Ammendment right. You've been used and dont even realize it. What are you gonna do when you cant fight back all of a sudden, cuz you willingly allowed some enemies of the state to fool you into giving your most important protection up... your weapons?? You wont get the chance to get them back afterwards, and we'll wind up like citizens of some other unfortunate countries it has already happened to!

Think outside the box people, and consider what Im telling you, because you wont get it from the mainstream

Ja Herra
    Ja Herra
    1 minute ago
    Bubba Hotep Yes exactly you said the best. He made this song and video to get money nothing more. He crafted it to make all the sheeps go crazy and generate all the buzz because they feel like they have to in order to qualify as a "good person". You will get jumped in the comments because people see you aren't agreeing with their bullshit and they see a great way of getting likes on their comments and in that way they pat each other in their backs for being such great human beings. Everyone acts like they care only because they feel like its the way to get acceptance. And then there are we who feel like we must say/do the opposite everytime to get noticed.

basil and tea leaves
    basil and tea leaves
    57 minutes ago
    I think the last scene where he runs away symbolizes how if someone’s opinion on politics are different, everyone seems to go after that person.

EMEZETA MUSIC
    59 minutes ago
    HELLO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT IT MEANS WITH LYRICS AND MUSIC (THE MOST SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL) I INVITE YOU WITH ALL THE HUMILITY OF THE WORLD TO SEE THE MADNESS THAT RECORDES YESTERDAY AND IS ALREADY IN ALL SOCIAL NETWORKS 20 MINUTES AWAY AND IS GENERATING GOOD ANSWERS, THAT WAIT TO SEE YOU ALSO AND GIVE YOUR OPINION ON MY WORK! THIS IS AMERICA, A SHIT !!!

HOLA SI LES INTERESA SABER QUE SIGNIFICA CON LÍRICA Y MÚSICA ( LO MAS SIMILAR AL ORIGINAL ) LOS INVITO CON TODA LA HUMILDAD DEL MUNDO A VER LA LOCURA QUE GRABE AYER POR LA MADRUGADA Y YA ESTA EN TODAS LA REDES SOCIALES HACE 20 MINUTOS Y ESTA GENERANDO BUENAS RESPUESTAS, QUE ESPERAS PARA VERLO TU TAMBIÉN Y DAR TU OPINIÓN SOBRE MI TRABAJO! ESTO ES AMÉRICA , UNA MIERDA!!!

Uncanny.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Donald Glover may have provoked the wrath of Crowley, but this guy is facing legal action from a Nigerian Muslim rights pressure group:

Not sure who to feel more sorry for.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Still not seen this but his funk/soul album (or at least stay woke) was a 100 times better than any of his half baked/post kanye cringe hip hop stuff. I like him as a personality/actor though. He should do more on that side of things and stop rapping. Musically he's pretty derivative (as a singer he's good but not that distinctive). The music he makes just seems like a side thing he does to show he can.

Seems that the first series of 'Atlanta' (which I started watching tonight -only halfway through, no spoilers please) already did everything that 'This is America' is trying to achieve, but much better. Gets across a hallucinatory and surreal vision of what it is to be black in America in the 21st C - I thought it was/is brilliant, showing not telling.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

season 2 is darker and weirder, and they occasionally focus an entire episode on a single character. really good.

started watching Season 2, very into it.

Loved the way Season 1 closed with Outkast's Elevators. Perfectly downbeat. The Migos guest appearance was great too and unexpectedly well done (I'd read nothing about the series beforehand). And the Azealia Banks Snapchat joke...the reality being weirder than anything in the series