Interests, obsessions

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm thinking of areas you're drawn to when picking things to read and watch and listen to. But I'd be happy to find out about people's obsessive sexual fetishes or stamp collecting or whatever.

Speaking of which, I'm personally very drawn to reading gruesome books about serial killers and psychopaths. I'm routinely disturbed to the point of sleeplessness by something I've read or seen in connection with this area, which perhaps accounts for my obsession. If it had no emotional effect on me I'd not be drawn back to it, compelled to relive my (minor) trauma. Even so, I have had to have a word with myself to stop seeking out this stuff online, as there's quite a lot of mental images now lodged in my mind that I will never be able to dislodge without dementia kicking in.

It doesn't have to be something like this, though, it can just be something that you're very interested in and have read a lot about... Do what thou wilt.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
An example of the above from last night - watched and was deeply disturbed by The Death of Stalin, immediately read up online about Beria, was even more disturbed, and then watched quite a lot of The Death of Stalin again.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Some people are really into books about World War 2. Some people are really into videos of glass blowing.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I
Do what thou wilt.

on that note - fairly obsessed by magick. it's funny, there's a new wave of publishing that's really taken off in recent years, probably best exemplified by Scarlet Imprint, and Crowley et al now seems very "old hat". It's an interesting area to engage with 'cos it takes you from the shores of obscure academic scholarship to samizdat publishing to the New Age and back again.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeats-primary-antithetical-gyres-72.jpg

DannyL

Wild Horses
Give me five fascinating facts about magick please

I'll take my time with this so I actually write some interesting (I hope)

1. Kevin Gates has referenced Santeria (the Cuban variant of the various African diaspora religions, the best known of which is Haitian vodoun) in a coupe of tracks and I'm interested in seeing if it starts cropping up elsewhere in rap as it's apparently the world's faster growling religion. I'm doing it a huge disservice mentioning it alongside "the occult" as it's a legit religion but it always have that non-normative edge to it, being rival/oppositional to the Christian/colonial traditions. This stuff is deeply embedded in Brazilian music. My favourite track (dedicated to Oxum, Goddess of the rivers:

DannyL

Wild Horses
2) Thailand has a unique tradition of occult tattoos. Tattooing is performed at astrologically auspicious times, using inks that may contain animal parts and herbal materials, which have all been blessed and prayed over and the designs themselves embody mantras, sacred symbols, geometry and a bunch of other stuff. In the book I've recently finished reading about this, the various tattoo artists were all very insistent that none of them do Nam Man Prai - that is tattooing with inks extracted from a corpse.
Thai-Tattoo-Sak-Yant.jpg

Attachments

• Thai-Tattoo-Sak-Yant.jpg
    Thai-Tattoo-Sak-Yant.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 34

DannyL

Wild Horses
3) I only know of one occultist who has a British popsike song dedicated to them - Austin Spare, though I would welcome over contenders. I guess I could sneak in Jason Crest's Black Mass, or - really pushing it - The Herd's "From the Underworld". I'll include a link to the latter as it's a much better song.

luka

I'll take my time with this so I actually write some interesting (I hope)

1. Kevin Gates has referenced Santeria (the Cuban variant of the various African diaspora religions, the best known of which is Haitian vodoun) in a coupe of tracks and I'm interested in seeing if it starts cropping up elsewhere in rap as it's apparently the world's faster growling religion. I'm doing it a huge disservice mentioning it alongside "the occult" as it's a legit religion but it always have that non-normative edge to it, being rival/oppositional to the Christian/colonial traditions. This stuff is deeply embedded in Brazilian music. My favourite track (dedicated to Oxum, Goddess of the rivers:

luka

The Amenti Halls are a subset of the Akashic Records in the galactic knowledge repository, these Amenti Halls are located in the Alcyone star system. Amenti Halls hold all the backup copies of the materials that were scanned in on solar discs and crystal chips from the Alexandria Library before it was destroyed.

There are many different chamber rooms in the Amenti Halls and the halls themselves are like a mass database of computer records stored in a large knowledge repository that is located partially on the etheric plane of existence and there are gateways to the halls from the physical realm of existence. Some of the chambers are made of emerald crystals, glass, and other cosmic materials.

The Amenti Halls have four spiritual rays that keep the structure of the halls together, and maintain the informational data bases inside the halls.

The four rays are the golden ray, blue ray, green ray, and the purple ray. These rays symbolize the different vibrational levels of the Amenti Halls and the various energy key code sequences of beings that can enter each hall, there are higher and lower vibrational key codes of having access to the hall chamber rooms.
The walls of the Amenti Halls have holographic computer like viewing screens from where the higher dimensional beings can access sacred geometry symbols, data information, knowledge libraries, etc. about all the galaxies, planets, and multiverses that have ever been created. As well there are reading rooms with computer panels to view the solar discs and the crystal chips on which information is stored.
There is a crystal quartz harmonics chamber in the Amenti Halls where different types of cosmic music is created and played to uphold the light quotient of the universe for having peace and balance in all the cosmos. The crystalline structure of this chamber has pyramids and sphere objects in it to fine tune the playing instruments that make the harmonics music.
In some of the Amenti Hall reading rooms there are green emerald tablets on which the most ancient languages are transcribed that were ever spoken in the first civilizations to seed new planets that were created in the universe. On these tablets information is stored about how races and planets are created biologically, geologically, and also there is information about how to terraform planets which almost no longer have atmospheres or planet life. As well there are genetic codes and DNA sequencing information stored on the tablets about how to create light bodies and human form for beings.
There are many different star gate way portals which are used to access entrance point ways into the Amenti Halls. Some of the portals are physically made with technology activating wormholes in order to go to the halls and other portals are natural forming which use etheric source energy that is organic. The natural portals activate on their own every couple of hours or days, so good math telemetry and star chart data is needed to be able to figure out when these portals will be open in order to get to the Amenti Halls

DannyL

Wild Horses

Have always wondered about that, and if she has any connection to the religion. Most of the people who are normally come over as fairly stable so I'm not sure. Has she ever talked with seriousness about any religion or spirituality? I follow someone called Alafia on Facebook (not that I'm on it much anymore) who is I think a good indicator of Santeria becoming more mainstream - it's kinda like voodoo Oprah with gifs.

luka

no idea danny sorry. i just saw that on twitter at roughly the same time i read your post so i shard it.
im no expert.

but all that stuff has been used so much in pop culture that of course some crossover was inevitable.

DannyL

Wild Horses
If she was ever seen wearing elekes (the beads given to initiates, that'd be a sign). A cursory 5m google doesn't reveal much. It'd be hard to do seriously and maintain a showbiz career. The fully fledged initiation (Kariocha) requires you to really pull back from the social world, wear white for a year, not go out in the evenings and a lot of other prescriptions.

Tons of Oshun symbolism in Beyonce's Lemonade of course.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Apparently she's "scratched" (initiated) in Palo Mayombe, which is a totally different tradition to Santeria - but not very reputably. The type of initiation that takes your cash but leaves you with your madness. The idea of rip off initiations is quite common in those circles. With Santeria, this is in part a product of people coming from the West to a relatively impoverished country to spend on spirituality.