Interests, obsessions

luka

obsessives dont make he best artists or the best anything. it allows people with smal talent
to maximise their potential.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There has to be a degree of distance to make art, that's true

Also art is for an audience - and those expectations rein the obsessive mind in.

luka

you'd have a hard time untangling obsession from neurosis. its the same function.

luka

the emotional weight is unbalanced, isnt in the right places, theres overinvestment.
its a fuck up.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
flaubert is fascinating from this POV

when he wrote off the leash he wrote 'the temptations of st anthony' which i've never read but is apparently extremely florid and self-indulgent and obsessional

when he reined it (more or less) all in and sweated it out he wrote madame bovary

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i suppose from the POV of being an artist the really valuable obsession is being obsessed with the form

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i mean with creating itself

you have to be the type of disciplined maniac to want to write 1000 words a day

luka

1000 words is not much really. how many words do me and you write on dissensus alone every day.

luka

youre supposed to tune in. thats the whole point. youre not supposed to replay the same fantasy
on a loop.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
it would be interesting to know how hard Shakespeare found writing

was it just flowing out of him or was the original speech something like

'to be or not to be? sod knows, not me'

sadmanbarty

wasn't there some talk of corpse finding a creative outlet a few weeks back? write some poems or short stories or something and put them on dissensus corpse. craner and luka can critique them and i'll be dead impressed with whatever you do because it'll all sound fancy to me.

oi corpse you need to write something weekly and post it on here so we can tell you you're a genius.

corpse with his hairy chest out. the outline of his penis down the side of his trouser leg. red alligator skin boots.