Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interests, obsessions

Default Interests, obsessions

I'm thinking of areas you're drawn to when picking things to read and watch and listen to. But I'd be happy to find out about people's obsessive sexual fetishes or stamp collecting or whatever.

Speaking of which, I'm personally very drawn to reading gruesome books about serial killers and psychopaths. I'm routinely disturbed to the point of sleeplessness by something I've read or seen in connection with this area, which perhaps accounts for my obsession. If it had no emotional effect on me I'd not be drawn back to it, compelled to relive my (minor) trauma. Even so, I have had to have a word with myself to stop seeking out this stuff online, as there's quite a lot of mental images now lodged in my mind that I will never be able to dislodge without dementia kicking in.

It doesn't have to be something like this, though, it can just be something that you're very interested in and have read a lot about... Do what thou wilt.

An example of the above from last night - watched and was deeply disturbed by The Death of Stalin, immediately read up online about Beria, was even more disturbed, and then watched quite a lot of The Death of Stalin again.

Some people are really into books about World War 2. Some people are really into videos of glass blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I
    Do what thou wilt.
    on that note - fairly obsessed by magick. it's funny, there's a new wave of publishing that's really taken off in recent years, probably best exemplified by Scarlet Imprint, and Crowley et al now seems very "old hat". It's an interesting area to engage with 'cos it takes you from the shores of obscure academic scholarship to samizdat publishing to the New Age and back again.

Is that like what Alan Moore is into?

Give me five fascinating facts about magick please

1) No occultist ever won the National Lottery.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Luka will like that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I'll take my time with this so I actually write some interesting (I hope)

1. Kevin Gates has referenced Santeria (the Cuban variant of the various African diaspora religions, the best known of which is Haitian vodoun) in a coupe of tracks and I'm interested in seeing if it starts cropping up elsewhere in rap as it's apparently the world's faster growling religion. I'm doing it a huge disservice mentioning it alongside "the occult" as it's a legit religion but it always have that non-normative edge to it, being rival/oppositional to the Christian/colonial traditions. This stuff is deeply embedded in Brazilian music. My favourite track (dedicated to Oxum, Goddess of the rivers:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

2) Thailand has a unique tradition of occult tattoos. Tattooing is performed at astrologically auspicious times, using inks that may contain animal parts and herbal materials, which have all been blessed and prayed over and the designs themselves embody mantras, sacred symbols, geometry and a bunch of other stuff. In the book I've recently finished reading about this, the various tattoo artists were all very insistent that none of them do Nam Man Prai - that is tattooing with inks extracted from a corpse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3) I only know of one occultist who has a British popsike song dedicated to them - Austin Spare, though I would welcome over contenders. I guess I could sneak in Jason Crest's Black Mass, or - really pushing it - The Herd's "From the Underworld". I'll include a link to the latter as it's a much better song.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I'll take my time with this so I actually write some interesting (I hope)

1. Kevin Gates has referenced Santeria (the Cuban variant of the various African diaspora religions, the best known of which is Haitian vodoun) in a coupe of tracks and I'm interested in seeing if it starts cropping up elsewhere in rap as it's apparently the world's faster growling religion. I'm doing it a huge disservice mentioning it alongside "the occult" as it's a legit religion but it always have that non-normative edge to it, being rival/oppositional to the Christian/colonial traditions. This stuff is deeply embedded in Brazilian music. My favourite track (dedicated to Oxum, Goddess of the rivers:

https://twitter.com/EsotericExposal/...92185061814273