Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antiuniversity - Wilhelm Reich talk

Trying to aware of when you're holding your breath is a good one (then asking why, of course).

Yeah, I think it was Christopher Hyatt's stuff, Danny - I had cut and pasted the relevant bits, having trouble locating the original on my computer (terrible filing system)

I also like this guy on youtube, who says he's influenced by Alexander Lowen Bit of a comical video, but the exercises really work for me (though not for others I've shown the link to - as ever, what works is highly personal and hit-and-miss)

I might start a thread on body therapies widely conceived - interested to hear more...

Interesting how sexual that movement looks with the pelvic thrusting. Reich calls his basic body movement "the orgasm reflex" - I remember watching "The Harder They Come" and seeing people "get the spirit" in a church sequence and thinking that the body movement occurring spontaneously looked orgasmic in this way. Doesn't look dissimilar to what he's doing there. I think Lowen's big therapeutic innovation was getting people to do this standing up, so you properly relate to the floor and ground yourself. Reich's stuff was done lying down which I guess is a bit of a holdover from the Freudian couch.

Please, start a thread! I'm waist deep in MA assignments but I will inevitably be unable to shut myself up.

I know - rooster orgasm in that video. Must rewatch The Harder I Come.

Is Lowen generally worth reading? I have one of his books cued up to buy - I'm keen to get a reference book of these kind of exercises without risking falling into a youtube hole.

Will do! I should be working, but...

How's the MA going - which year are you in now?

I have quite a few of Lowen's books but tbh, I don't refer to them that much. It's interesting to contrast him to Reich, Reich goes much deeper into the biological - he felt he was dealing with fundamental life processes, while Lowen keeps in the human and therapeutic frames. Bio-Energetics is good, I can't imagine you not getting something out of it, and I enjoyed his biography (Honouring the Body).

There's a massive book by a bloke called Jack Willis if you want some kind of reference book. I'm a bit skeptical of that "exercises" framing though. I need to write something about it though as there's some kinda connection between him and Israel Regardie who was a student of Crowley's and his biographer. So there's this unrecognised connection between these two schools. I wrote something about it here but idk if the link still works. Should be able to find it easy enough though.
    Last edited by DannyL; 12-06-2018 at 09:46 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Just finishing second year - have like 7000 words to write by 6 July. Arrrgh.

Good luck with that!

I'll take a look at Lowen in that case. The link to the post about Willis, Regardie and Reich works, very interesting stuff ; only thing that doesn't seem to be there any more is the Willis pdf...ah OK, just found it here: http://reichiantherapy.info/book%20i...ome%20Book.pdf

Interested to hear your thoughts about the exercises framing when you have time; I think I get what you mean, but (presuming I'm understanding you correctly) it's an interesting issue with analogues in other disciplines

And I will remember to start that thread about body therapies today...

Edit: This Willis book is great:
    "If you find that emotion of any type is getting too strong, stop the exercises entirely until your emotions settle down. I MEAN IT. "
    Last edited by baboon2004; 13-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.

I just meant that the work isn't "exercises" as such - it's therapy. And it should be approached in that spirit - with an open-mindedness, spontaneity, gentleness (when appropriate), and a lack of concern for reaching a pre-determined goal. It's a much more contingent process than what we'd normally associate with exercise (i.e. completing 10 pressups or working my way through to the end of a page in a book of "exercises"). That PDF does sound quite funny though, and I'm not saying one couldn't get a lot out of it.

There's a nice principle in the Alexander Technique which is to consider the "conditions present" and try and stay with them, this being something that probably will be new and unfamiliar rather than the "conditions past" - what's known, familiar and comfortable - or a overly fixed intention (which'd be called "end-gaming" in the Alexander Technique).
    Last edited by DannyL; 13-06-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Definitely - from a quick flick through the pdf, I think Willis at various points mentions that the therapy/exercises aren't to be taken competitively and that doing less is preferable to overdoing it. Alexander Technique seems good - I know someone who trained in it, but haven't yet sat down myself to take a proper look at the principles, aside from what she's told me about them.

The overemphasis on results and achievement seems to crop up everywhere (unsurprisingly perhaps given our world) - blighting many a yoga class for example, and feeding into the idea of therapy as just another thing to tick off the list, "OK, I've done it and I'm well now" etc.
    Even at the gym in fact - when I go, I see so many people with tunnel vision on completing a certain number of 'reps', with no concern for form or the fact that their back or knees are going to be completely shot in a decade's time (or less).

it's all about finding something which is giving you good feedback so you can adjust your trajectory accordingly in my opinion. the writing gig gives me that in spades. i can tell when im tuned in and i can begin to figure out what affects that.

getting into a state of flow and then working how to stay there/get there more easily in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    getting into a state of flow and then working how to stay there/get there more easily in the first place?
    more or less. what are the factors involved? this is what the whole game's about. becasue it involves everything.

how can you get time moving forward. how to escape the time loops. how to keep the channels of communication open. how to keep the valve open.

the attention poised. clarity. scope of vision and understanding. seeing the angles as carlito puts it in carlitos way.

i would imagine things like yoga approached intelligently give you that feedback as well. the more tuned in i am the more aware of my body i am and the more supple it is. (it's never been very supple) i touched my toes for the first time in about 7 or 8 years the other day! i havent worked at it. it's a product of being 'on'
    (and tbf, losing a lot of weight)