Antiuniversity - Wilhelm Reich talk

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm lecturing on Wilhelm Reich in London on 9th June if any of you lot want to come down. It's free!

The blurb runs:
This talk is an introduction to the life and work of radical psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich. Reich has been christened the founder of the 'sexual revolution' (he coined the term). He was the first to incorporate the body into psychoanalysis. Along the way, he broke with Freud, practiced radical biology, fought fascism, founded his own discipline of alternative physics, and fled to the US. In the US his radical ideas brought him into conflict with the authorities and he was eventually jailed, dying in prison in 1957. He's the only person whose books were burnt by both the Nazis and the US government. This talk will look at his life and work and assess what he can take from his profound legacy.

This event is part of the Antiuniversity Now festival 9-15 June 2018

See the full programme on www.antiuniversity.org

By signing up to this event you will be added to the Antiuniversity mailing list.

To opt out please email antiuniversitynow@gmail.com

It's at LARC (London Action Resource Centre), 62 Fieldgate Street, London, E1 1ES - 7.30pm to 8.45

Eventbrite link for tix here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/anti...olitics-of-desire-tickets-46043796234?aff=es2

Last edited:

Woebot

I'm lecturing on Wilhelm Reich in London on 9th June if any of you lot want to come down. It's free!

The blurb runs:
This talk is an introduction to the life and work of radical psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich. Reich has been christened the founder of the 'sexual revolution' (he coined the term). He was the first to incorporate the body into psychoanalysis. Along the way, he broke with Freud, practiced radical biology, fought fascism, founded his own discipline of alternative physics, and fled to the US. In the US his radical ideas brought him into conflict with the authorities and he was eventually jailed, dying in prison in 1957. He's the only person whose books were burnt by both the Nazis and the US government. This talk will look at his life and work and assess what he can take from his profound legacy.

This event is part of the Antiuniversity Now festival 9-15 June 2018

See the full programme on www.antiuniversity.org

By signing up to this event you will be added to the Antiuniversity mailing list.

To opt out please email antiuniversitynow@gmail.com

It's at LARC (London Action Resource Centre), 62 Fieldgate Street, London, E1 1ES - 7.30pm to 8.45

Eventbrite link for tix here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/anti...olitics-of-desire-tickets-46043796234?aff=es2

cool! i will come along.

DannyL

Wild Horses
if any of youse guys are intending to come along to this, best book an Eventbrite ticket cos it might sell out - I'm up to 30 out of 50 now.

luka

i would like to but my mates getting married in Morden. All the best. Fascinating subject and Danny's an expert.

Woebot

that was GREAT!

danny really knows his reich. we kept going deeper into the subject *then* danny mentioned he corresponds with as neill. eden and i looked across at each other suitably impressed.

fantastic stuff danny.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks Matt! Glad you enjoyed! I was super pleased to do it, good questions as well I thought.

630522005.0.x.jpg

Great book, though a lot of Reich's letters are missing. Neill was trying to do in education what Reich was trying to do in psychotherapy.

Woebot

Thanks Matt! Glad you enjoyed! I was super pleased to do it, good questions as well I thought.

Great book, though a lot of Reich's letters are missing. Neill was trying to do in education what Reich was trying to do in psychotherapy.

yes they were good questions i thought too! all well-informed - apart from eden's :p

danny would you be able to drop me a line at alias[at]hollowearth.org? i have a question you might be able to help me with

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Danny, will there be a stream of this online at any stage? Couldn't make it because I don't live in London any more, but sounded v interesting.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I can sort you out with a stream of it. I want to give it a listen myself first so give me a few days....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
brilliant, really appreciate it, absolutely no rush cos my next free time to listen won't be for a little while! Have been finding some Reichian breathing exercises really useful recently, from a link you sent me ages ago, so thanks for that too

luka

brilliant, really appreciate it, absolutely no rush cos my next free time to listen won't be for a little while! Have been finding some Reichian breathing exercises really useful recently, from a link you sent me ages ago, so thanks for that too

send me this pls im trying to sort out my breathing once and for all.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Will do.

I don't think you can sort out breathing with any finality, if you know what I mean? Or rather it's one element of a whole body process, and changes will have knock on effect but I don't know to what degree we make these permanent. It's an interesting question to think about.

Was the link to Christopher Hyatt's stuff, Baboon?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I think it was Christopher Hyatt's stuff, Danny - I had cut and pasted the relevant bits, having trouble locating the original on my computer (terrible filing system)

I also like this guy on youtube, who says he's influenced by Alexander Lowen Bit of a comical video, but the exercises really work for me (though not for others I've shown the link to - as ever, what works is highly personal and hit-and-miss)

I might start a thread on body therapies widely conceived - interested to hear more...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Interesting how sexual that movement looks with the pelvic thrusting. Reich calls his basic body movement "the orgasm reflex" - I remember watching "The Harder They Come" and seeing people "get the spirit" in a church sequence and thinking that the body movement occurring spontaneously looked orgasmic in this way. Doesn't look dissimilar to what he's doing there. I think Lowen's big therapeutic innovation was getting people to do this standing up, so you properly relate to the floor and ground yourself. Reich's stuff was done lying down which I guess is a bit of a holdover from the Freudian couch.

Please, start a thread! I'm waist deep in MA assignments but I will inevitably be unable to shut myself up.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I know - rooster orgasm in that video. Must rewatch The Harder I Come.

Is Lowen generally worth reading? I have one of his books cued up to buy - I'm keen to get a reference book of these kind of exercises without risking falling into a youtube hole.

Will do! I should be working, but...

How's the MA going - which year are you in now?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have quite a few of Lowen's books but tbh, I don't refer to them that much. It's interesting to contrast him to Reich, Reich goes much deeper into the biological - he felt he was dealing with fundamental life processes, while Lowen keeps in the human and therapeutic frames. Bio-Energetics is good, I can't imagine you not getting something out of it, and I enjoyed his biography (Honouring the Body).

There's a massive book by a bloke called Jack Willis if you want some kind of reference book. I'm a bit skeptical of that "exercises" framing though. I need to write something about it though as there's some kinda connection between him and Israel Regardie who was a student of Crowley's and his biographer. So there's this unrecognised connection between these two schools. I wrote something about it here but idk if the link still works. Should be able to find it easy enough though.

Last edited: