Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone has started an "old skool forum for music, discussion and discovery"

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I am pushing 40 for crying out loud. I would feel idiotic to enthusiastically big up new music. Doesn't mean I am not interested.
    imagine having to write a review of the new playboi carti album.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I dont talk about new music. and i didnt post in either of those threads but they were both huge in
    terms of influence.
    I liked the debate about EDM. Despite the fact I am thinking EDM is among the most horrible music-movements I have ever witnessed.
    Last edited by firefinga; 16-05-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I was thinking only the other day about critics vs. musicians - has there been many/any good critic-practitioners in music?
    loads.

many classical and 20th Century avant-garde composers were critics and essayists and theorists - Wagner, Schoenberg, John Cage, Michel Chion, Pierre Schaeffer, Pauline Oliveros, Michael Nyman, lots more...

and often they were in fruitful dialogue with critics - Wagner and Nietzche (who also did a bit of composing himself) had an intense relationship, extremely mutually warm at first(Nietzche moved in with RW and his bird Cosima) but ultimately leading to a parting of the ways (whereupon Nietszche wrote no less than three anti-Wagner books!)

Eno is a paradigm example of someone whose thoughts on music (and culture generally) ought to be compiled into a book (his Diary With Swollen Appendices is great fun but isn't quite that)

Green Gartside, Momus, David Byrne, Drew from Matmos.... all could have / should have /actually have written books

But do you mean critics who are primarily or initially only critics, and then move into music?

there's quite a few examples of that syndrome - Greg Tate with his black rock group Burnt Sugar, Paul Morley with Art of Noise (in a sense) and Infantjoy, Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye, more that i'm blanking on

at one point i was going to write an article on the phenomenon

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

the phrase that leapt out to me in that FACT piece was the idea that - thanks in part to streaming - music has become "a one pass medium like film"

that's been my relationship with most incoming music (new and new-old - meaning old thing not heard before) for a good while

you listen to it once and then the profusion of other possibilities out there forces you onwards - you might mean to go back for a second pass but you rarely do

a byproduct of the churn is that there is something intensely pleasurable and throwback-blissful about those rarer and rarer times when you do get stuck on something and just have to replay it over and over - it's like slipping back into analogue time and an attention economy based around scarcity of options

also related is the voluptuous pleasure of listening to an old favourite - just spurning all the other options, the things you should check out, and going back to something you love for the umpteenth listen

a bit like the indulgent pleasure of rereading a favorite book (when there's so many other things - new and classic - you should be getting to)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    there's quite a few examples of that syndrome - Greg Tate with his black rock group Burnt Sugar, Paul Morley with Art of Noise (in a sense) and Infantjoy, Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye, more that i'm blanking on
    Lester Bangs!

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Lester Bangs!
    morrissey. chrissie hynde.

[edit] and neil tennant.
    Last edited by Matthew; 17-05-2018 at 07:46 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    a byproduct of the churn is that there is something intensely pleasurable and throwback-blissful about those rarer and rarer times when you do get stuck on something and just have to replay it over and over - it's like slipping back into analogue time and an attention economy based around scarcity of options
    Yes, this is a rare and joyful experience. I think it last happened to me with this

Interesting re: critics/practitioners. I sometimes wonder if all of us music nerds on dissensus should put our money where our mouth is, so to speak, and make the music we yearn for, but then I think 'isn't the music we all love made by people who wouldn't be pontificating about music on dissensus?' And then I cry and I want to die.

thats why you need to fulfil your side of the bargain so that barty is forced to make us a tune.
    see how it comes out.

I think you would be a perfect sounding board if I was making music or something cos I know you wouldn't be polite - you'd call a shite a shite

yeah ive made quite a few people cry. its good for them though. you sent me a trap beat you made once
    i actually thought it was good. depression is boring becasue you just sort of give up doing anything
    fun and interesting. run all these self-defeating scripts about why its pointless to try to do anything

few things get my back up as much as what we students of human nature call self-defeating scripts

music critics who aren't musicians themselves are better - although usually focus on wrong things when writing bout music - than lapsed musicians-turned-critics. Those usually are full of resentment and jealousy.

and speaking of musicians - or in this specific case rather producers - the popularity of youtube was also - somewhat - a blow to music-based webforums which often had subforums focussing on music productions. Those countless youtube tutorials on DAWs and whatnot rendered those parts of the forums totally useless.

sounds like NLP

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    sounds like NLP
    yeah its just therapy jargon.
    there is a direct line of descent from freud to nlp