Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Someone has started an "old skool forum for music, discussion and discovery"

LOL. I did nearly run as a local councillor once.

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about what sort of conversation different platforms create.

The perceived need to return to forums is doomed I think because people can't escape from the social media mindset. On that new music forum there isn't very much actual discussion - it's mainly just people posting up links to soundcloud or youtube like they would on facebook.

Social media has basically forced this "post a thing" -> "like that thing" mentality onto other platforms because it is so omnipresent now. If you set up something new, that's what you're gonna get.

You can maybe resist it with longstanding forums (I hope so!). Somewhere else I post has also declined since a lot of people have left to go on social media and some of the newbies just think they can post up any ill-thought out shite and get confused when people call them on it and ask them to defend their positions.

Yes, (anti) social media has killed long-ish online conversation by conditioning people to expect what social media does - the constant "feed" thing of a stream of pictures, sounds, short messages without a focus really, totally ephemeral. It's like immediate obilivion. On long-going forums you have that rich archive. People aren't used to this any longer. I personally think it sucks, but that's the way things are in the 2010s. Overall I think social media has a superbly negative effect on many levels, I don't see it's influence going away any time soon. Quite on the contrary, and for today's kids this is the norm, they don't know anything else, and I would assume they don't even wanna know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

And then there's another thing. I read the comments to this article in the post, the consensus appeared people were mostly lamenting there has something gone which forums had provided but social media isn't able to deliver. Yet most people stay on social media, like a lot of friends you met on several forums - then leave forums at one point, but maintain a social media presence. But I often wonder, looking at their FB page or whatever, seeing how shallow the actual convos on there have become: that's what you've traded forum interaction with, seriously?
    And then there are the overall quitters, who went from forums to social media, thought social media was basically crap but couldn't go back to forums bc by the time they were gone/deserted and quit online conversation alltogether. Possibly not the worst option, actually
    Last edited by firefinga; 04-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

Things heating up over there, several ex (or current?) Dissensians opening up a new front in the Continuum wars.

https://forum.555-5555.org/t/post-ha...riting/1108/65

Even big beat gets a mention! Poor Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Things heating up over there, several ex (or current?) Dissensians opening up a new front in the Continuum wars.

https://forum.555-5555.org/t/post-ha...riting/1108/65

Even big beat gets a mention! Poor Simon.
    good god, I must be getting old and jaded. looks like about four guys with way too much time on their hands (no offense, thirdform, you're comments stood out). nearly every other post is TL;DR.

They're siphoning off talent from Dissensus now? This will not stand

Does this mean war?

Rename Dissensus 6666

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Oh no you didnt!!! Shots fired!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    dubstep diaspora-
    we are part of the hardcore continuum despite being goldsmiths
    graduates from surrey/brighton/switzerland

the world-no youre not

dubstep diaspora-
    ok. well, it doesnt exist anyway. its a wrongheaded theoretical construct.

the world-why you so upset about not being part of it then you fucking weirdo cunt
    this comment was in response to that thread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i get 777 messages from beyond the beyond sometimes. had one yesterday (or was it the day before... cant remember now) so i approve of this rebranding wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Rename Dissensus 6666
    Ah, so THAT'S what's going on!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

[QUOTE] youíre a nice lad though mate so donít take offence if you read this.[/QUOTE

thirdform funny as fuck on this. love ya mate.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Awww.

yeh i wanted to say to man that my mate from canada with bare happy hardcore tapes has more continuum credentials than post-dubstep 09 lol. take note from me old mucka Brandon.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: