john eden

male pale and stale
LOL. I did nearly run as a local councillor once.

I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about what sort of conversation different platforms create.

The perceived need to return to forums is doomed I think because people can't escape from the social media mindset. On that new music forum there isn't very much actual discussion - it's mainly just people posting up links to soundcloud or youtube like they would on facebook.

Social media has basically forced this "post a thing" -> "like that thing" mentality onto other platforms because it is so omnipresent now. If you set up something new, that's what you're gonna get.

You can maybe resist it with longstanding forums (I hope so!). Somewhere else I post has also declined since a lot of people have left to go on social media and some of the newbies just think they can post up any ill-thought out shite and get confused when people call them on it and ask them to defend their positions.

firefinga

Yes, (anti) social media has killed long-ish online conversation by conditioning people to expect what social media does - the constant "feed" thing of a stream of pictures, sounds, short messages without a focus really, totally ephemeral. It's like immediate obilivion. On long-going forums you have that rich archive. People aren't used to this any longer. I personally think it sucks, but that's the way things are in the 2010s. Overall I think social media has a superbly negative effect on many levels, I don't see it's influence going away any time soon. Quite on the contrary, and for today's kids this is the norm, they don't know anything else, and I would assume they don't even wanna know.

firefinga

And then there's another thing. I read the comments to this article in the post, the consensus appeared people were mostly lamenting there has something gone which forums had provided but social media isn't able to deliver. Yet most people stay on social media, like a lot of friends you met on several forums - then leave forums at one point, but maintain a social media presence. But I often wonder, looking at their FB page or whatever, seeing how shallow the actual convos on there have become: that's what you've traded forum interaction with, seriously?
And then there are the overall quitters, who went from forums to social media, thought social media was basically crap but couldn't go back to forums bc by the time they were gone/deserted and quit online conversation alltogether. Possibly not the worst option, actually

Last edited:

Leo

luka

dubstep diaspora-
we are part of the hardcore continuum despite being goldsmiths
graduates from surrey/brighton/switzerland

the world-no youre not

dubstep diaspora-
ok. well, it doesnt exist anyway. its a wrongheaded theoretical construct.

the world-why you so upset about not being part of it then you fucking weirdo cunt

this comment was in response to that thread.

luka

i get 777 messages from beyond the beyond sometimes. had one yesterday (or was it the day before... cant remember now) so i approve of this rebranding wholeheartedly.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeh i wanted to say to man that my mate from canada with bare happy hardcore tapes has more continuum credentials than post-dubstep 09 lol. take note from me old mucka Brandon.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lol the rock music people would cuss me out in secondary school coz my music wasn't for aspiring sociologists.

And now pitchfork is full of em i mean i would still be into the same shit had i never heard of em i have never read a review of theirs fully.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
maybe hes good but whenever i read about him it's like as if the journalist has met a black person for the first time in the dance.