Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Marley.

It's a series of interwoven stories connected to the attempt on Marley's life in 1976 in a kinda weird David Peace style. It's good - I enjoyed the JA history and found it very readable though it's a bit hard to follow at times. There was some weird ghost rastas murdering someone at one stage and I had no idea what was happening.

bob marley age 17

I find it difficult to get excited about him, some of it's pretty fun (Punky Reggae Party, Could You be Loved), but there's a lot of his stuff that I just find boring. I've always hated the intro of Redemption Song too.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post

personal favourite
    This is one of my favourites. Could you be loved, Stir it up, Trench town rock

You're right, he is uncool - white crusties ruined his image

And as you say - MOJO endorsed. BBC four.

not white crusties, posh white girls from north london called e.g.
    Amelia and Xanthie.

Well he isn't great because he's exciting to be honest. It's very much a wallow, but a good wallow. A wading, an immersion effect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

what a great thread. what great music that everyone likes even if they had forgotten

which reminds me of something. the first time i ever heard him my ear was so, so confused. ive never been so
    discombobulated by music before or since. it was the rhythm. just sounded completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    just heard Bob coming out a car. sounded joyful. reminded me he is the least fashionable artist and has been for as long as i can remember.

legend.
    bob marley. massively underrated. "natty dread" up there with "heart of the congoes" and "right time" - wrongly hewn from the rest of reggae. super magic man.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Sellassie speech made into song

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Having a work of "serious" literature produced about him (or around him) indicates a certain middle-classification which I am contributing to by mentioning it.
    really don't think it's possible for Bob Marley to undergo further middle-classification, and if it were it wouldn't be by a Jamaican author of Jamaican historical fiction.

it's always been the case that Bob Marley is great but part of his fanbase is so insufferable, and some his work so associated with them, as to make it unlistenable.

Like, I never, ever want to hear Three Little Birds, or fucking Buffalo Soldier, for the rest of my life.

it's not his fault but they're inextricably linked to the kinda frat boy assholes who like Dave Matthews. I mean it's absolutely brutal.

and One Love is basically the Sandals Resort national anthem. One of his sons recorded a version for a Virgin Airlines ad.

he suffers in that respect to an extent by comparison to for example Peter Tosh, tho tbf who knows what he would've gone on to do if he'd lived longer (both of them, really)

this is my favorite Bob Marley song, fwiw. unsurprisingly I prefer his work with Lee Perry, in general.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post: