Bob Marley.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
ok you catch me in the act next time. not after ive just done it!
I'll keep it in mind

it's not a bad thing btw

droid is probably more of a straight contrarian, I'm somewhere in the middle, other people fall somewhere on the spectrum. a diversity of opinions is good.

luka

the perry thing is not contrarianism to be fair. it's a critical commonplace but not one shared by 'The People'

i am the spokesman for and representative of The People. The Peoples Champ.

droid

Come back to me when youve seen Jah in a yard dance, climbed the blue mountains, shopped at Rockers international... etc...

DannyL

Wild Horses
really don't think it's possible for Bob Marley to undergo further middle-classification, and if it were it wouldn't be by a Jamaican author of Jamaican historical fiction.

I see the thread has moved on at a rate of knots but for clarity, I meant in contrast to what I was hearing in the show I posted. Those guys are working class reggae fans who grew up listening to Marley, and are all huge fans and hear him in his context of reggae history.

I've always thought the absence of literature/novels as a form in JA was really interesting and put it down to class differentials. The creative energy of the island seemed to be in the music instead i.e. with working people. Marlon James is an anomaly in that way.

This may be bullshit, I'm not sure - googling "Jamaican novels" threw this up: https://lithub.com/marlon-james-five-jamaican-novels-you-should-read/

padraig (u.s.)

i am the spokesman for and representative of The People. The Peoples Champ.
this is exactly what I said

"contrarianism" may be confusing it a bit. "critical commonplace" or received critical opinion is closer.

what I'm saying is your populism isn't pure populism, it specifically comes from an anti-critical opinion place, i.e. it's anti-anti-populism.

you've read Eshun, blissblogger, etc, so your arguments are informed by the critics views but against received critical wisdom.

otoh when it comes to literature you're a complete anti-populist snob (this is said with love).

luka

are you having a laugh? that sounded so silly! im going to quote that back at you every day for the rest of your life now loooool

luka

this is exactly what I said

"contrarianism" may be confusing it a bit. "critical commonplace" or received critical opinion is closer.

what I'm saying is your populism isn't pure populism, it specifically comes from an anti-critical opinion place, i.e. it's anti-anti-populism.

you've read Eshun, blissblogger, etc, so your arguments are informed by the critics views but against received critical wisdom.

otoh when it comes to literature you're a complete anti-populist snob (this is said with love).

yeah this is true. very different relationship to lit than music. i understand literature but i love music.

luka

i just started the thread becasue i heard that song coming out the car and it sounded great and then i thought about how hes been so hard done by by his fans and by associations we make with his records and it seems unfair cos like matt says he was a magic man, shaman-healer

it was just supposed to be a ray of uncomplicated sunshine!

padraig (u.s.)

The creative energy of the island seemed to be in the music instead i.e. with working people[/url]
it'd be fair to say Jamaican literature has had nowhere near the global impact/footprint of Jamaican music

I don't know about "creative energy" but class differentials - specifically education (both for production and consumption), and access to/infrastructure for distribution seems like a reasonable hypothesis, or at least one major reason for the relative paucity of Jamaican literature compared to music.

luka

it'd be fair to say Jamaican literature has had nowhere near the global impact/footprint of Jamaican music

I don't know about "creative energy" but class differentials - specifically education (both for production and consumption), and access to/infrastructure for distribution seems like a reasonable hypothesis, or at least one major reason for the relative paucity of Jamaican literature compared to music.

i dont think it matters especially. music is better than novels anyway. i dont think we need to have
novels from everyone and everywhere anymore than we need cricketers from every country in the world.

padraig (u.s.)

i understand literature but i love music
and to be extra clear, that's a totally reasonable position to have

sometimes - with music - you wind up people up puncturing received critical wisdom with the informed poptimist style view

I don't think it's cynical or anything, I fully believe you love all these things, and it's good you're fighting for their legitimacy. I just know some of your moves.

(I'll never understand your weird dismissal of disco, but we all have our blind spots. anyway, by all means back to your ray of sunshine.)

padraig (u.s.)

Come back to me when youve seen Jah in a yard dance, climbed the blue mountains, shopped at Rockers international... etc...
I'm distancing myself as far as possible from this, btw

I mean, amazing quote - love droid just going for it - but yeah I can't co-sign that in any way

droid

lol. Nearly 15 years on this site and Im still been taken seriously.

Cmon, If I wanted to flash my reggae creds Id be chatting about 12th gen riddim versions and rare digi drum machines.

padraig (u.s.)

that quote really just makes me think of droid on the beach at Sandals Resort listening to a sick, highly authentic version of One Love

(he's the one in the chair with the maracas)
droid dance 2.jpg