Bob Marley.

droid

lol, Just wanted to nip it in the bud, just in case.

I never made it to the top of the blue mountains. It was too wet. Two people had died when a mudslide destroyed their shack the night before.

version

Bill Orcutt put an album out a few years ago with a great Bob Marley themed cover.

R-7664738-1446250150-4314.jpeg.jpg

blissblogger

bobMarleyVeniceBeach.jpg

his fans do make it harder to love Bob

that's Venice Beach, that is - with Bob subsumed within the kitschscape that is the beachside promenade - walk-in botox clinics, insta-prescriptions for medical marijuana, skateboarders, girls in daisy dukes etc (I love it actually, Venice is a trip)

bit further down there's a Deadhead stall

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Every year for 15 years, my next door neighbour, on the first sunny day of spring, the day when the little kids can go back out and play on the street and everyone opens their windows and plays lovers, my neighbour would put on Three Little Birds and I'd run to my records and open my windows and play this alongside it, from about 5 mins in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEKuX8arORc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every year.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
bob energy drink.jpg
I have no idea who controls his estate or has the final say signing off on these things but it's like come on

much worse than the middle-classification I think, it's this dilution and defanging

I think of the famous picture of him bring together Seaga + Manley, or playing Smile Jamaica two days after narrowly surviving an assassination atttempt

And sure, recuperation is inevitable, but whatever his flaws the man stood for something, meant (still means) something vast + real to a lot of people

I'm pretty sure at least part of the reason I find the Legends etc stuff so excruciating is knowing that it represents this towering figure being reduced to a neat, safe product almost completely removed, anesthetized, dislocated from whatever imparted that meaning.

Woebot

and not forgetting my favourite

brainwashing

ANYTHING with mr brown, the coffin and crows

CrowleyHead

I react more strongly to films being the college dorm staple than I do music so while say... Scarface is the Bob Marley Poster of films (which is an odd sort of yin-yang right there), I don't let my appreciation for Bob get tampered by the demystification and perverseness. If you want to say later stuff isn't 'Real Reggae' (which fine, god forbid) it's still some of the best soul/pop/rock or w/e of it's era.

That said the real take is that Lee Perry is bad with or without Bob.

droid

Solo stuff aside, Perry produced AT LEAST 2 of the greatest reggae albums of all time, Heart of the Congos & War inna Babylon & the Black Ark is unimpeachable. He's the RZA of reggae.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

french very keen on him too. though sometimes even keener on jimmy cliff in my experience. world centre of jimmy cliff enthusiasts.

'bob marley isn't real reggae' argument - hard to think of any other genre, especially one so rich, where such a large percentage of people (still!) associate it almost solely with one artist, so the backlash is bound to be epic.

Last edited:

Woebot

Solo stuff aside, Perry produced AT LEAST 2 of the greatest reggae albums of all time, Heart of the Congos & War inna Babylon & the Black Ark is unimpeachable. He's the RZA of reggae.

damn right. and the joseph beuys.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
otoh I do fully understand choosing not let the grossness surrounding a thing ruin your appreciation of that thing

I can't myself in this case, but I fully admit if it was say Larry Levan instead of Bob I would 100% look past it

luka

oh man totally love this

serious or not it immediately rises high into the glorious and storied pantheon of totally absurd Dissensus hot takes

see, luka - that's how you do it

kudos

i dont ever say anything for the sake of it. i think youve got me confused with someone else.

luka

not being bad but this is my message board. i make the rules. dont get cocky because i will throw you out the door.

i dont want to but i will if you dont behave.