Bob Marley.

luka

im a very tolerant person but i will draw a line in the sand when it's necessary. i want us all to have fun together but that depends on everyone adhering to certain standards.

luka

just want to sip a Rubicon guava based mocktail by a hotel swimming pool, chill out, listen to some bob marley.

john eden

male pale and stale
Marley is like the Beatles really. If you're into music you have to make a real effort to hear it properly again without all the cultural sediment that's grown over it.

CrowleyHead

For the record that's two good LPs for Scratch in which, there's a whole team of people responsible. This is Auteurism. It's like how Mark Romanek zoomed off the strength of having Escoffier as a cinematographer and stealing good ideas from other directors for his music videos but then when asked to have his own ideas? Crickets! Wasteland! Which is the answer of why everything once Scratch becomes solo is pure carny hucksterism rubbish. Return of the Super Ape or whatever its called? Boring nonsense. "OH THE BLACK ARK". Listen to yourselves!

At least with Bob there have been proper assaults on his integrity, a la "The stuff with Perry is the best" or "It all falls apart once Tosh and Bunny leave" or "Island made him into a rock artist, it's not proper reggae".

Where's that Sacred Cow thread here? Should've put Perry at the top of the list for you boys.

droid

Yeah, sorry, but thats nonsense. Reggae is a genre in which producers and even engineers have been hugely important and have left indelible marks on the sound, the style and the history & progression of the music. Not simply because of their technical skills but due to their personalities and the fact that studios acted as de facto meeting places, hostels and a community focus for activities. Bunny Lee, Duke Reid, Joe Hoo-Kim, Tubby, Scientist, Errol Thompson, Herman Chin-loy, Jammy, Leslie Kong, Clive Chin, Junjo... These are towering figures who had massive influence.

In Perry's case his impact is perhaps even more pronounced, both because of the pool of talent he was able to attract and also because his sound was genuinely unique. There really is no one else who had the same sensibility, who exploited and marshalled artists in the same way or produced records that sound quite like his. In that sense he is similar to Augustus Pablo, an anomalous figure who approached things from a different perspective and elevated the genre in the process.

luka

the guy had heavy powers. magic powers and carni-ness/huckerism are not mutually exclusive. quite the opposite
they almost always go together.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think the general consensus is that the last good thing Perry did was the albums with Adrian Sherwood in the eighties. Some would argue that he lost it before then.

He’s had less scrutiny because he’s mainly a producer and not a singer in his heyday. And so less visible.

His “madman” schtick is still amusing occasionally though - it was cool when he was the Lindt Chocolate ambassador briefly recently.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
1 - to clarify, again, luka I think all your positions are sincere. even the windups - especially the windups.

2 - that crowley post is glorious madness. I do respect the double down tho. go big or go home.

(and droid can carry that water far better than I can but - no one said Lee Perry is infallible. clearly there's plenty of garbage in his back catalog, he's never (afaik) been able to recreate the magic of Black Ark, probably his reputation is inflated by the legends surrounding him. you didn't say he's overrated - which is maybe true - or whatever tho, you said he was bad, and then that he was devoid of creative ideas, which is contradicted by mountains of historical evidence. there's puncturing sacred cows and then there's wild shots off the bow)

3 - barty there is absolutely no way you're casting me as Seaga tho. a CIA front man who initiated structural adjustment programs for the IMF? low blow.