Bob Marley.

Benny Bunter

Thoroughly enjoyed these round ups, John, but no Live! ? That was my intro to bob and reggae and I reckon it still sounds great, so vibey.

john eden

male pale and stale
Thoroughly enjoyed these round ups, John, but no Live! ? That was my intro to bob and reggae and I reckon it still sounds great, so vibey.

Thanks! I just wanted to get through all the studio albums first, but I think you are right about "Live!" - some of the Live tracks are the definitive ones for people.

Probably "Babylon By Bus" should be squeezed in somehow too.

Woebot

Thanks! I just wanted to get through all the studio albums first, but I think you are right about "Live!" - some of the Live tracks are the definitive ones for people.

Probably "Babylon By Bus" should be squeezed in somehow too.

thanks john. really enjoyed this. can you make a spotify playlist of your faves?

droid

Was at a dance last night and one of the selectors snuck in 'So much trouble' - version first, and it sounded great.

It's easy to forget what these tunes are supposed to sound like. Completely different animal with sound system bass.

forclosure

I see the thread has moved on at a rate of knots but for clarity, I meant in contrast to what I was hearing in the show I posted. Those guys are working class reggae fans who grew up listening to Marley, and are all huge fans and hear him in his context of reggae history.

I've always thought the absence of literature/novels as a form in JA was really interesting and put it down to class differentials. The creative energy of the island seemed to be in the music instead i.e. with working people. Marlon James is an anomaly in that way.

This may be bullshit, I'm not sure - googling "Jamaican novels" threw this up: https://lithub.com/marlon-james-five-jamaican-novels-you-should-read/
just came across this James stated in some interview i watched once that when it comes to writing, poets have always been one step ahead of the authors

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just watched an episode of "Rev" and "One Love" kicks in for the credits. It took me a few seconds for the music to shortcut my amused, boneheaded 'oh this old crap' response and start singing along joyfully.

Was going to start a thread about how I forgot Bob Marley is great cos he seems like such an entry level artist you think I've transcended this I've heard the Congos.

Fortunately I searched and found Luka making the point already in 2018.

Amusing to see this thread descend into a fight about two pages in. ✌️

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Buying a Bob Marley compilation CD when I was about 17 and listening in awe to banger after banger.

shakahislop

Hate his music. Makes me feel sick. A lot of the culture around the bob marley thing is nice and charming but I hate most of the tunes. The Fugees did a much better version of No Woman No Cry, which is obviously really well written.

Loads of big chart dance music bangers were destroyed for me, by hangovers working in JJB sports. The weekend was destroyed for corpsey by the realisation of his own imminent death - happens to the best of us

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Here's an amusingly hostile review of 'Kaya' by Lester Bangs (I looked up Bangs in connection with Marley cos he wrote a really good piece about visiting Jamaica that's in a book I own but not online 'Innocents in Babylon') which will resonate with the Marley h8ers

Benny Bunter

I wish I still had my Lester bangs books, that article where he goes to Jamaica and meets Bob Marley and Lee Perry was brilliant. Remember him saying the weed in Jamaica was a lot weaker than in NY but then he got ripped off by some kids when he was trying to score some so what would he know? Lol!