Bob Marley.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yeah but you all do have a huge Jamaican influence, especially in London, and tons of good reggae of many varieties

nothing like that ever existed here outside of maybe New York and maybe a few other East Coast cities and then not nearly to the same extent

here if you're lucky the Bob Marley fan you're dealing with likes Phish instead of Dave Matthews. if you're lucky.

it's just not comparable.

droid

i specifically forbade anyone to express this inane and tediously contrarian opinion right at the very start of this thread! sometimes i honestly feel like you have been sent by god specifically to troll me. a kind of karmic avenger for all the people i have mercilessly trolled in life.

Its not a contrarian opinion, its actually the right opinion. The Perry recordings are outstanding, soulful, dense, proper cosmic roots music from a brief moment when the wailers were perhaps the best band on Earth.

See also, the Wailers on studio one

Woebot

lee perry is great but his work with marley is completly insiginicant in the light of what was to come from both
artists.

i can accept that. and i don't cleave to this "bob marley isn't real reggae" nonsense - i mean anyway - so waht - BUT there is something pretty supernatural about things like "my cup" - listen to the way marley comes in - practically explodes with energy, desperation.

and you know the story about the track? lee perry didn't want ANYTHING to do with singers - he was sick to death with dealing with the bullshit - was set on instrumentals - but bob pleaded with him for an audition - begged - so perry said "cmon mon" and so the wailers sang acapella "my cup" and perry was rooted to the spot - it was a message he thought - this young man he thought - this young man's cup is overflowing and he doesn't know what to do - he has so much fucking talent he needs an outlet - and i must be that conduit. COSMIC.:poop:

luka

very cosmic and Marley clearly had the force but those recording are very dry and thin and joyless in comparison with the real Marley records. I've never once heard one of those songs played on radio for instance. never heard them coming out the window of someones home or car. theres a reason for that.

luka

when i started the thread i knew full well you two would go the perry route.
which is why i headed you off at the pass. youre both so predictable!

droid

Long before I knew anything about reggae, the first Marley I heard was a bootleg CD of the Perry stuff and for years afterwards I wondered what was missing from the other records.

As for taking Marley out of reggae... he kind of did that himself to some extent, the rock stylings and marketing, partly divorcing himself from the Jamaican production scene, abandoning the riddim... ABANDONING THE RIDDIM!!!!

droid

One bit of advice though, if youre driving down Hope road on the way to Tuff Gong to buy a few hundred 7 inches and your Rasta guide asks you if youre going to visit the Marley Museum as you pass it, NEVER say 'Well... Im not such a huge Bob Marley fan'.

luka

when i started the thread i knew full well you two would go the perry route.
which is why i headed you off at the pass. youre both so predictable!

i mean whats fascinating and infuriating is it is we're so close to agreeing but that hairbreadth of difference is night and day... like we like a lot of the same genres but totally differnt things in them

padraig (u.s.)

going counter-contrarian by preempting the contrarian opinion back to the populist opinion is a classic luka move

you're a legit contrarian when it comes to literature and a counter-countrarian populist when it comes to music

come on man this isn't bad but we've message board known each other for years I know your moves

padraig (u.s.)

if there's a choice you'll almost always choose populist notion that snubs received hip music dude counter-populist received wisdom

in this case rubbishing Lee Perry in favor of does it get played on the radio

sometimes I agree with you, not this time tho, tho like I said this isn't an area where my expertise/feelings are comparatively strong