Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: World Cup 2018

I liked that the 5-1 was referenced in Dog Soldiers.

dea567b70a0b18c12256186e899d4384--dog-soldiers.jpg

Almost as good as the IKEA invasion, which was stone cold English genius.

You have to love this team and Gazza though. I dislike football, but still get tingles from this story. All my mates in Swansea at the time, we were breathless and gripped watching this. The dumb parochial Welsh 'anyone but England' was not a factor (it wasn't for me anyway, my Dad is English and I was "posh" Welsh anyway)...

I love all the crossover rave/football schtick from that time too, however true it was...

I could be wrong but what happened this time doesn't have the epic, poignant quality of 1990. It seems blander on all fronts, less extreme and colourful and fun.

Probably nostalgia I guess.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

No big characters or talents

This guy's videos are great, very interesting to see the game through this guy's strategic goggles, and shows Pirlo to be some sort of genius.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I could be wrong but what happened this time doesn't have the epic, poignant quality of 1990. It seems blander on all fronts, less extreme and colourful and fun.

Probably nostalgia I guess.
    Sports science

Moneyball

Presumably more PR pressure from sponsors?

And so on

Although on the plus side they do often still gangbang page 3 models in hotel suites

Best analysis I saw of today’s match : Belgian chocolate vs curly wurlies

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I felt deflated after that final. I like France, but I've had enough of brilliantly functional teams punctuated by unstoppable attacking genius winning tournaments (see Real Madrid and the Champions' League). Also the VAR rules are a shambles - it's only meant to be used for clear and obvious errors, and that penalty was not clear one way or the other.

I have a bit of sympathy for Eden Hazard's whingeing after the semi-final about France's lack of expansive ambition, especially given the talent they have. They never set the tournament alight, despite being its best team.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 16-07-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Great tournament though, wasn't it? Lots of goals, lots of banger goals, lots of upsets.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Best final since '86, best tournament since 2006 for certain and possibly better than that one, three teams that might be described as great international teams to rank alongside the titans of the past, as you say lots of goals. Being picky, only thing it lacked was a true all-time classic match - France-Argentina came closest but Argentina were too poor; and France-Belgium should've been but didn't catch light. I think the match I enjoyed the most was Belgium-Japan, actually.

just realized it was members of pussy riot who ran out on the pitch.