Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

looking like the biggest fix in WC history already

i guess you'll have seen by now! A Russia outfit with a combined age of 1953 winning 5-0 against a Saudi team that some 'highly regarded' computer simulation or other tipped to reach the last 16...

I reckon the first game of every tournament is rigged tbh. It's a bad look for the hosts to lose from the off.

I've just realised/remembered that it used to be (til 2006) the champs who would play the first game, not the hosts....was better that way

Ronaldo is an Olympian.

Standing astride the Tagus.

I love how streamlined his game is now, everything he does is so precise and economical. He's torched all the fat from his play and what's left is the fewest number of actions required to create a chance on goal.

There was a great point in the first half where he played a first time flick to start off the counter, sprinted up the pitch and delivered a perfectly weighted ball into the box. I think he had two or three touches at most and each one was exactly as it should be. He's like one of those calligraphers that gets so good that they can almost do it in a single motion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Sounds like he did good last night (I only saw the first 30 mins of the game, which were nonetheless ridiculously entertaining compared to most early world cup games)

Thing about Ronaldo is that he's only intermittently a big game player. There have been several of his 5-6 Champions League finals where he has been next to anonymous. But I think you're absolutely right that in the past couple of years, he has increased the economy in his game - and as a result has been way more effective in the big matches, in the way that he was alleged to be previously in a bizarre ignoring of reality.

And it's very, very rare to get better again through your 30s. Maybe Federer is the ultimate throughout sport - no grand slams 2013-6, surely he's making way for the next generation?...but no. THREE grand slam titles in the past 18 months. Phenomenal is the only word for it, and I can't stand the guy personally.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 16-06-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Helluva time to be on holiday in Iceland!

wow that was a shit game england only just deserved that victory. only just.

version aren't u from US have some pride in ur nonexistent football culture.

No, what gave you that impression?

i dunno actually just was stuck in my head lol.

For the first half it was surprisingly quite exciting, and then it turned into the typical England game I've nodded in and out of over the past twenty years since giving up football. Furrow-browed frustration.

OTOH the tunisians were mandhandling like a motherfucker and we should have had at least one penalty.