World Cup 2018

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Definitely, Albanian eagle was a response to a lot of provocation, and Fifa for once acted wisely in imposing no punishment. I thought it was an epic moment.

I was in Mexico for the 98 world cup coincidentally, and everyone in the bar was gleefully supporting Argentina when they played England. We left before the end, thank god.

martin

----
I've read that the Mexican national team is possibly more popular in the U.S than our own team, which I have no trouble believing

we've mostly gotten past the point where Americans make fun of soccer but it definitely still comes after the big 4, and college sports

I have actually seen Houston Dynamo play at home (against Columbus Crew). What a weird affair. Actually was more crazy outside, with cops showing me and my mate their tasers, hot Texan belles running the Budweiser tent, etc

We thought we'd import a toned-down version of The English Disease and teach the Dynamo fans some vile terrace chants but it turned out to be more like a cricket match - families eating nachos, everyone sitting down, half the stadium empty. Dynamo had a brass band playing Karma Chameleon, swapping "you come and go" for "Dynamo". All I really remember about the game was that the Number 4 was hilarious, he kept falling over every time he went near the ball, and everyone stood up and applauded whenever there was a corner. We tried to do the "You'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre SHIT-ahhhh!" thing when the Columbus Crew goalie took a kick, but nobody else joined in. Actually, I can't even remember who won.

Where US soccer RULES though is the fact you can buy massive cans of beer (like two big Stella cans, welded on top of each other) and drink them throughout the match.

Leo

so what's the mood in England...bated breath or excited and confident?

probably a dumb question, I know...

luka

just impatient for the final. this is just a road block. not interested in it especially. bring on france.

Leo

just impatient for the final. this is just a road block. not interested in it especially. bring on france.

good thing you aren't committing the classic mistake of counting yr chickens before they hatch.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
so what's the mood in England...bated breath or excited and confident?

probably a dumb question, I know...

halfway between blithe confidence and mental breakdown. depends if people are old enough to remember 1990 or not. Croatia aren't as good as West Germany, but England don't have anyone with the genius of Gascoigne either.

droid

Even if England somehow manage a result here, France will tear them to shreds if they play like this in the final.

luka

VALIANT EFFORT FROM THE LADS YOU SHOWED THE DONKIRK SPIRIT TONIGHT DONT LET YOUR HEADS DROP WE'RE ALL VERY PROUD OF YOU.

luka

COULDNT BE MORE PROUD OF THE LADS THEY GAVE US SOMETHING TO BELEIVE IN. I CALL IT THE DREAM TEAM COS THEY WAY THEY PLAYED WE DID DARE TO DREAM AGAIN AS A NATION

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Best chance ever to reach a WC final and they lost it through naïveté... disappointing. Bad luck that Trippier wasn’t on the field to take those last two free kicks

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dodgy at the back and not clinical at the front. Didn't really deserve to win the world cup. Still gutted.

luka

if youre here on the internet and not smashing fuck out of a foreigner youre not gutted enough. get out there and show us what it means to you.