World Cup 2018

version

I love how streamlined his game is now, everything he does is so precise and economical. He's torched all the fat from his play and what's left is the fewest number of actions required to create a chance on goal.

There was a great point in the first half where he played a first time flick to start off the counter, sprinted up the pitch and delivered a perfectly weighted ball into the box. I think he had two or three touches at most and each one was exactly as it should be. He's like one of those calligraphers that gets so good that they can almost do it in a single motion.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds like he did good last night (I only saw the first 30 mins of the game, which were nonetheless ridiculously entertaining compared to most early world cup games)

Thing about Ronaldo is that he's only intermittently a big game player. There have been several of his 5-6 Champions League finals where he has been next to anonymous. But I think you're absolutely right that in the past couple of years, he has increased the economy in his game - and as a result has been way more effective in the big matches, in the way that he was alleged to be previously in a bizarre ignoring of reality.

And it's very, very rare to get better again through your 30s. Maybe Federer is the ultimate throughout sport - no grand slams 2013-6, surely he's making way for the next generation?...but no. THREE grand slam titles in the past 18 months. Phenomenal is the only word for it, and I can't stand the guy personally.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For the first half it was surprisingly quite exciting, and then it turned into the typical England game I've nodded in and out of over the past twenty years since giving up football. Furrow-browed frustration.

OTOH the tunisians were mandhandling like a motherfucker and we should have had at least one penalty.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
during the second half my only thought was 'i'll never get this 45 minutes of my life back', but some strange force kept me glued to the sofa. Mesmerisingly dreadful. England were good for the first 20, but Lineker's 'I can't remember when England started a major tournament this well' was eyeroll material - in 2014 England were at least very good against Italy for large stretches. They lost, but they were playing a quality team. Why is incorrect cliche always preferred to reality?

Yeah, Tunisia were taking the piss at some points, and I think there were 2 relatively clear pens for England.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Neymar's meltdown is hilarious, even if Costa Rica's challenges are so agricultural they might as well be driving round in tractors (to use my ITV commentary voice). Hopefully he doesn't now score a winner in the last 9 minutes

Edit 9ish minutes later: I like Coutinho, so that's bearable

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
He doesn't do charm.

Interesting to see if Modric can be the main man at this World Cup. Always in the shadow of superstars at Madrid, but arguably more influential than any of them. Croatia-Spain in the quarters might be a classic if that's how it pans out

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ENG-BEL would have been a contender for the all-time list of most embarrassing matches at the WC, had Japan-Poland not already happened. And at least that was taking the piss in a funny, rather than deadening, way. Much better if Southgate had just sent his benchwarmers out to get 5 yellow cards and played for the draw.