Thread: World Cup 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default World Cup 2018

Is anyone actually going to watch it? There seems to be next to no excitement or hype around the tournament itself and most people are just discussing whether or not the traveling fans are going to make it out alive given what happened when just a few Russian hooligans got loose in Marseille a couple of years ago.

I have tried a few times in recent years to recapture my childhood passion for football, mostly because loads of my friends are obsessed with it and I'm curious as to what I'm missing, and jealous of the passion, and jealous of the bantz. I might try again with this world cup thing.

I will get sucked in as with every big tournament. However after the Euro 2016, which was a rather boring event football wise, my hopes are not too high. That coupled with the plague of current popular sports - namely the focus of reporting more and more on those useless "celebreties" and "VIPs" surrounding big sporting events like flies - will keep me very seelctive.

I yearn for a Mexico 1986 but we're never going to get it again. The Champion's League final will be better than the entire World Cup; watch that and save yourself a month.

I spose Messi's inevitable failure to lift the WC will provide a decent sideshow though, and endless is he is the best player ever now arguments. France will prob win it - Griezmann, Mbappe and Dembele is a Champions League winner-level forward line (even though they can't all play together, probably).

The problem I have with international tournaments is the quality of the football, I'm a big fan of the tactical side of the game so watching a bunch of teams that rarely play together isn't ideal.

re: Messi - I think it's arguable that club football, particularly in Europe, has overtaken the World Cup at this point so I don't think he has to win it, but it would be good if he did. The four year cycle and lack of opportunities to win it obviously adds to the mystique of the tournament, but he's been doing it against the very best for almost a decade now anyway and the top club sides are better than the top national sides. Having said that, national teams are much more evenly balanced given they can't chuck money around and sign whoever they want like clubs can so maybe the World Cup does still have the edge. I don't think his legacy will be damaged too much if he doesn't win it though, Cruyff never won it and nobody argues with his place in history.

Quality is poor, definitely. I thought Italy-Spain in the last European Champs was the best international game I've seen in ages. Conte obvs a good coach.

Messi - lack of intnl success seems to tarnish him a bit among Argentinian fans. Unfairly really. I guess the suspicion is still that he flounders/would flounder a little outside Barcelona. Doesn't mean he's not the best, but means he'll always leave it open to doubt.

Cruyff was far more memorable/effective at international level, even if he didn't win the prizes.