Thread: Camila Cabello

Default Camila Cabello

quite interesting this lady

love this one (co bobby bisto)

the female gaze is v different. but guess jeans advert aspect a bit boring maybe.
    Last edited by Matthew; 01-06-2018 at 10:02 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

but there's also this which is ok

POP MUSIC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

i have to admit i havent dug into her 'oeuvre' at all. barty made omg his choon of the day a while
    back after hearing it in a bulgarian shopping centre and i got addicted to it. it really
    presses my pleasure button. i just kept playing it and playing it.

something i noticed when we played it on the radio is it seemed to lose something (for me)
    on the big, good speakers. the 'drop' wasnt as effective when you can hear constant bass the whole time
    maybe

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    something i noticed when we played it on the radio is it seemed to lose something (for me)
    on the big, good speakers. the 'drop' wasnt as effective when you can hear constant bass the whole time
    maybe
    it must be designed for radio play - it isn't a "proper" trap production i suppose.

but then you probably wouldn't hear such a winsome vocal on a trap tune.

i played it to a hip hop head at work and he was nodding his approval - sez "quavo" (the migos guy?) gets $100,000 for all his appearances

it is and isnt proper trap i guess. her vocal cleaves to rap patterns
    fairly closely, albeit simplified ones. but basically its all about
    being suspended on that lalalala and then launching into the
    drop isnt. great fun

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Heard "Never Be The Same" the other day in the car and immediately wrote it down in my phone - and then immediately forgot about it (such is the danger of reliance on digital tech as memory prosthesis)

That was mainly cos of the extreme auto-tune on it

"OMG" though - the combination of languid female sensuality and the trap beat structure reminds me of Tinashe feat Schoolboy Q "2 On"/ DJ Mustard adapting his thing for R&B... and then even further back R&G - Terror Danjah and others trying to lady up the grime

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

She quit from 5th harmony innit, & she was clearly the best (the only?) singer, and the youngest, and that irrepressibly catchy tune Work from Home ft. Ty Dolla $ign was just the wrong side of sleazy imho, so i thought maybe she might have been moving on to greater things. My expectations were over-high

Eh, she's not the best singer, she was just constantly featured on singles going out of her way to oversing and do vocal runs whenever it wasn't demanded at all. Management spent every waking minute after the first album trying to make her ready for a solo jump.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Eh, she's not the best singer, she was just constantly featured on singles going out of her way to oversing and do vocal runs whenever it wasn't demanded at all. Management spent every waking minute after the first album trying to make her ready for a solo jump.
    You're probably correct there. my take was not deeply researched
    what of the other 4 now?

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    You're probably correct there. my take was not deeply researched
    what of the other 4 now?
    They did an album this year but as a result of the inevitable purge, they're splintering into solo careers so I presume the group is now on indefinite hiatus pending any inquiry to them...

Of the remaining girls, Lauren and Normani are favorites of mine and both have collaborated with Ty Dolla $ign in recent months (who penned Work for them); Normani has possibly the best odds of a non-Camila push as she'd written a good half of the last two albums, but Lauren IS dating Ty and got a big boost of recognition off being a featured vocalist on one of the singles of the last Halsey album.

Personally the group break up was inevitable. Cabello's made singles I can appreciate but she was apparently a negative presence in the group and clearly thought herself The Beyonce in a way that was sabotaging any hint of their chemistry from day 1.

They're fascinating in so much that they were arguably the biggest girl group in the US for a long time and their existence was v. brief, so brief that I don't think anyone really properly registered them outside of younger fans.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

ive never heard of them which shows you how losing radio has left me completely detatched
    from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    ive never heard of them which shows you how losing radio has left me completely detatched
    from reality.
    TBF I don't know how well they've hit with the UK partially because you folks have Little Mix which is vastly more successful in your nation than Fifth are in mine.

Talking of which who won Britain's got Talent last night?
    Did anyone watch it (from a Dissensan anthropological PoV, naturally)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post: