Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDs

you can buy a decent cd player in the states for $125-200, under $50 for a portable discman type thing that, when plugged into a stereo amp/receiver, sounds pretty much as good as a component. of course, you can spend $300-7,000 on high-end audiophile units as well.

also, i find most of my cheapo $1-3 cds at used record stores, not online. even if you find them them cheap online, you then have to pay another $4 for shipping/handling, or more if international.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I think people are cottoning on and the prices are going up a bit, but there's still plenty of stuff on Amazon for 2 or 3 secondhand. It depends what you're looking for though, the classics on major labels are usually cheap. There are a ton of books and DVDs on there for around 3 including postage too - just seen a copy of Heat on DVD for 1p.
    Indeed. Depends on what you're looking for. But generally, with a few exceptions, prices are ridiculously slow these days for second hand CDs and DVDs, also computer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    also, i find most of my cheapo $1-3 cds at used record stores, not online. even if you find them them cheap online, you then have to pay another $4 for shipping/handling, or more if international.
    Also a good point. Flea markets, charity shops. It seems a lot of people don't bother putting stuff on discogs sales sub pages or ebay, it's too much hassle, so they give away bulks of discs to charity sales and the likes. Just to get the stuff outta their homes quick.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Also a good point. Flea markets, charity shops. It seems a lot of people don't bother putting stuff on discogs sales sub pages or ebay, it's too much hassle, so they give away bulks of discs to charity sales and the likes. Just to get the stuff outta their homes quick.
    except charity shops are usually just full of mainstream cds, in the states anyway. good to picking up old led zep or public enemy cds but not the more obscure or experimental stuff. people who were once into music or in need of downsizing their collections are probably more likely to sell them to a used record store, if there's one around.

not that you get much for them: i remember getting $3-5 per cd for good stuff back in the day, now you're lucky to get $1 per cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    but not the more obscure or experimental stuff.
    yeah, this stuff will always stay relatively expensive also on CD, just due to the fact of scarcity

On a tangent - always been bewildered by others' talk of "charity shop hauls", where they miraculously find the Electronic Panorama boxset or a crate of first edition Burroughs books for 25p. My experience of these places has universally been: brown leather jackets and stonewash dungarees; scratched-to-fuck '90s Mixmag 'Ibiza Anthems' CDs; dusty, tanned copies of 'The House Plant Expert' and 'Killing for Company; some cardboard box stuffed with old knitting periodicals; and an insane old woman who smells of cat's piss and looks like she murdered her husband in 1984.

I think the only thing I ever bought in one was that PiL 'Live in Tokyo' cassette, for 1, and I binned it straight after playing it cos it was shit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    On a tangent - always been bewildered by others' talk of "charity shop hauls", where they miraculously find the Electronic Panorama boxset or a crate of first edition Burroughs books for 25p. My experience of these places has universally been: brown leather jackets and stonewash dungarees; scratched-to-fuck '90s Mixmag 'Ibiza Anthems' CDs; dusty, tanned copies of 'The House Plant Expert' and 'Killing for Company; some cardboard box stuffed with old knitting periodicals; and an insane old woman who smells of cat's piss and looks like she murdered her husband in 1984.

I think the only thing I ever bought in one was that PiL 'Live in Tokyo' cassette, for 1, and I binned it straight after playing it cos it was shit.
    yup...well, that's 98% of them, but every once in awhile...

i've had most of my decent hauls from flea markets or used record stores where the proprietor doesn't know anything about the genre (or discogs) and puts good stuff out for cheap. used to happen more often, in the pre-discogs/ebay years.

On a tangent - always been bewildered by others' talk of "charity shop hauls"
    i think one has to spend a lot more time doing it!

just last night a friend (who literally spends his life doing it) was telling me he bought thirty assorted beatles and john lennon lps. all originals for 1 each. lovely copy of "imagine" with a poster.

i'm sure it's less common nowadays with the internet - people just look stuff up.

actually, myself, i have never found anything memorable in charity shops. however i have made hay on many occasions buying records which were mispriced in regular shops.

two greatest hauls ever:

this for 50p in a car boot sale
    https://www.discogs.com/Rammellzee-K...elease/1190926

and this for 15 in the old reckless in camden by the lock
    https://www.discogs.com/La-Monte-You...release/655646

Are you referring to the 'Selector's Choice' CDs?
    Yeah. A fucking atrocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

two greatest hauls ever:

this for 50p in a car boot sale
    https://www.discogs.com/Rammellzee-K...elease/1190926

and this for 15 in the old reckless in camden by the lock
    https://www.discogs.com/La-Monte-You...release/655646
    Shit! That Beat Bop Discogs top-end price is INSANE. Very cool find. I wish someone reissue that La Monte Young one and the Black Album on CD, as they're conceptually similar and it'd be nice to hear 'The Volga Delta' without all the low-bitrate MP3 distortion on the copy I scabbed from Mutant Sounds blog...

Re: Droid - Glad I avoided them then. I had an earlier Jammy's comp double-CD on VP (can't remember the name, had a picture of his studio on the front) and remember the volume being seriously low, plus tonnes of early fade-outs (presumably to squeeze as much content on as possible), so wondered if those Selector's Choice CDs might be a suitable replacement...obv. not...

Shit! That Beat Bop Discogs top-end price is INSANE. Very cool find. I wish someone reissue that La Monte Young one and the Black Album on CD, as they're conceptually similar and it'd be nice to hear 'The Volga Delta' without all the low-bitrate MP3 distortion on the copy I scabbed from Mutant Sounds blog...

Re: Droid - Glad I avoided them then. I had an earlier Jammy's comp double-CD on VP (can't remember the name, had a picture of his studio on the front) and remember the volume being seriously low, plus tonnes of early fade-outs (presumably to squeeze as much content on as possible), so wondered if those Selector's Choice CDs might be a suitable replacement...obv. not...
    Theyre super compressed, really harsh with no dynamics.

Actually, theyre great. I have a few for sale if your interested...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post

Actually, theyre great. I have a few for sale if your interested...
    Phew! Thanks, appreciate it. 25 each OK?

Just to further derail this - when is ANYONE going to comp that Lovindeer answer to Echo Minott's 'What the Hell' where he plays a copper who gives Echo a beating in return for knocking his g/f around?

I bought that LP just for that tune.

The Lady June response is on this excellent compilation - double CD well worth a purchase:

Love the Tiger as well:

And have been seeking a version of the firehouse cut for years:

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

And a wickerman I never knew about!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    does a cd player really cost 25,000 Matt? that's quite dear.
    to get a CD player with an equivalent audio quality to a very standard record player you have to play ALOT of money. at least 5k and upwards. 25k isn't outlandish.

with record players they nailed the technology in the late seventies. it's like any old tech, or for that matter medicine out of patent, they can't charge big money for it any more.

most CD players are shit BUT encoded on the CD itself the sound quality is there. even though people will criticise red book cds.

it's all about the Digital to Audio convertors, the transport mechanism etc.

HOWEVER part of this inflated price is specific to markets. in the *audiophile* (audiofool) market people are conned into paying much higher prices. the same, equivalent or even better DACs are available for PCs/Macs made by the *recording* market. the trick is to buy in the recording market. simpler still to just play off a PC with a DAC.