Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CDs

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    does a cd player really cost 25,000 Matt? that's quite dear.
    to get a CD player with an equivalent audio quality to a very standard record player you have to play ALOT of money. at least 5k and upwards. 25k isn't outlandish.

with record players they nailed the technology in the late seventies. it's like any old tech, or for that matter medicine out of patent, they can't charge big money for it any more.

most CD players are shit BUT encoded on the CD itself the sound quality is there. even though people will criticise red book cds.

it's all about the Digital to Audio convertors, the transport mechanism etc.

HOWEVER part of this inflated price is specific to markets. in the *audiophile* (audiofool) market people are conned into paying much higher prices. the same, equivalent or even better DACs are available for PCs/Macs made by the *recording* market. the trick is to buy in the recording market. simpler still to just play off a PC with a DAC.

One of the Greensleeves Scientist vinyl reissues (poss. World Cup) even had the Compact Disc brand logo on the cover, which pretty much indicates the source material. Incredible nobody at the label spotted it before it got pressed, or maybe they couldn't be arsed to change it.

Also, Island has somehow fucked up LKJ's digital material - it's about half the volume of the average release.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    One of the Greensleeves Scientist vinyl reissues (poss. World Cup) even had the Compact Disc brand logo on the cover, which pretty much indicates the source material. Incredible nobody at the label spotted it before it got pressed, or maybe they couldn't be arsed to change it.
    lol. but it's entirely standard!!!

though i suppose equally often vinyl mastering engineers will take 192/24 digital audio and master from a digital file. that stands a chance of sounding ok. but, yep, always digital files since (probably) the early nineties.

I expect it's fairly easy to tell apart a $25 and a $250 CD player by ear, but to tell apart the latter from once costing 100 times as much, A) how much do you have to spend on the amp and speakers, and B) just how good do your ears have to be? I'm reminded of those expensive 'super audio' CDs that you used to see in music shops, always of very well established, multi-platinum classics like Ziggy Stardust or Nevermind or Bad or whatever - well, I say 'expensive', they probably went for about what you'd pay for a good quality new vinyl LP these days. But how many people had the audio equipment at home to notice the difference, and also the actual auditory sensitivity to appreciate it?

I mean, in principle you could create a digital audio format with arbitrary bit depth and sampling rate, but beyond a certain point no human being is going to be able to tell the difference with each increasing step of resolution.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I remember this monster from ads back in my teenage years.