1990s hypes revisited - loose series installmant 02 - "Big Beat"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The way I take it is that Liam Howlett started out making something that transformed his influences, and then regressed into making something that sounded like his influences, more or less - in both cases he was riding the zeitgeist and raking in the cash, it's just that the zeitgeist was going backwards. Also by 1997 the Prodigy was a brand based around band image, so the music was second fiddle to Keith acting 'crazy'. But yeah, Oasis is probably the main part of the answer.

wow haven't listened to prodigy in ages is the early stuff really that good compared to most london hardcore i used to love that album experience but will i like it today i don't know.

droid

Not so sure, I think its more of a combination of a personal, slightly idiosyncratic take on hardcore combined with perhaps a bit of insecurity about that approach, with tentative steps into jungle, jungle techno & some other sounds. Not crossover per se, but speculative experiments into a wider variety of styles.

firefinga

In retrospect all that pre-millennium tension and "cold cold world" and "darkness" and apocalyptic vibes that suffused certain quarters of Nineties music and that we used to bang on about as critics / fans, that is the stuff that seems misplaced. Things weren't that dark.

That was Tricky and No U Turn only anyways.

luka

but craner is probably right to say it was a foreboding, dark intimations of what was to come,
not just a reflection of what was happening at the time.

luka

and actually, sorry on reflection, thridform has already touched on this in reference to darkness
in hardcore

luka

which reynolds puts down to serotonin depletion, an explanation ive always found fairly convincing.