Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installmant 02 - "Big Beat"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    FBS was certainly the nadir of the scene, or close to it.
    He was nowhere near the nadir. He was probably above average. There was so much shite

And whoever says it above is right- it was anti rave. It sort of looked back to acid house- you’d hear quite a lot of 808s at BBB- but skipped over rave.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    In my mind here's a cultural synchronicity between Fatboy Slim and Oasis, the same mindless white beer swilling aesthetic mirrored at the same time in both rock and dance. An anti-E, anti rave, reactionary ethos in the ascendent.
    It definitely wasn't anti-E - maybe lager and pills is a better way of looking at it. Big Beat was eclectic which means that bits of it were definitely shit but there were people involved like Cut La Roc and Hardknox who definitely didn't fit into that anti-rave thing when you saw them DJ. They played a lot of jungle and ragga tunes in fact. Maybe this doesn't come across on the records.

Also Fatboy Slim was an amazing DJ before he went all stadium. It's mentioned in my blog piece upthread but I saw him play all night in the small room at The End once and it was incredible how we took the crowd with him (yes, on a journey!), an incredible party DJ.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Glastonbury on the BBC

Camp Bestival

6 Music

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Glastonbury on the BBC

Camp Bestival

6 Music
    provincial england and its archons must be destroyed.

Also can we agree that "nu breakz" was worse than Big Beat? I mean that supposedly had the urban/rave/E aesthetic but it was joyless.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

selling students a retrograde idea of working class masculinity. prove youre a man drink as fast as you can.
    dont be a queer drink all your beer. waaaaay tits! like a viz character come to life.

See the things I'm thinking of aren't laddy they're more family friendly, safe, middle aged sort of reference points. Probably because I was too young to see this music in its natural environment. By the time I was 18 it was ageing lads remembering their glory days in the student union

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    See the things I'm thinking of aren't laddy they're more family friendly, safe, middle aged sort of reference points. Probably because I was too young to see this music in its natural environment. By the time I was 18 it was ageing lads remembering their glory days in the student union
    im not talking about lads .... im talking about the people who got sold the idea of 'lads'
    by marketing firms, media operations, brewery pr etc etc

the same people with doughy warburtons skin and lustreless eyes who wear addidas sambas and listen to 6 music today

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Also can we agree that "nu breakz" was worse than Big Beat? I mean that supposedly had the urban/rave/E aesthetic but it was joyless.
    You're irredeemable on this topic, but no. I think generally dull is better than generally offensive, though I wouldnt be flying the E flag for Nu Breakz either. Some tolerable moments - a lot of crossover too.

reterritorialise. cartoonish gender norms. retreat from highwater mark of rave enlightenment.

TFI Friday with the bar in the television studio. have a pint with Chris Evans and listen to some live bands