1990s hypes revisited - loose series installmant 02 - "Big Beat"

blissblogger

this was a great UK number one single and would have been in any decade - including this one

top video as well

also, Norman Cook? a stranger to E? pull the other one mate!

luka

the number of es you take is neither here nor there really. ive only had about 10 and its never done anything much for me. it's just about what music soundtracked the counter-revolution. fist pumping in the air. boys with their arms around each other jumping up and down. lager flying everywhere.

luka

norman cook and zoe ball at brighton pier. sunburnt provincial people urinating in public.

luka

the chemical brothers were just a dance-rock version of Baddiel and Skinner.

firefinga

A genre that has some people bitching about bc its audience was at least partly working class can't be all that bad. Nu Skul Breakz however was indeed shit.

luka

i can assure you no one is bitching because big beat was a working class crowd. partly because that wouldnt be a cause for bitching and partly because it wasnt.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That setting sun tune is a banger I'm quite surprised

The weird thing is I thought Luka was pro Oasis

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hmm skipped to the bit in setting sun where noel Gallagher's vocal had dropped out a bit

Can't really stand him as a singer for the most part

droid

also, Norman Cook? a stranger to E? pull the other one mate!

No stranger to E, but thats not the point, more that he was very friendly with coke.

You could make a strong case for Big Beat being the true precursor to EDM. Deracinated dance music with no swing or feminine pressure that focussed the listener almost entirely on the drop.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's funny to see Luka slagging off beer, as on one of the three (I think?) occasions I've met him, he got me and himself shitfaced on the stuff, skulling pints of it like the Archbishop of Banterbury.

On another occasion he generously shared some DMT with me though, so perhaps that cancels it out.

luka

No stranger to E, but thats not the point, more that he was very friendly with coke.

You could make a strong case for Big Beat being the true precursor to EDM. Deracinated dance music with no swing or feminine pressure that focussed the listener almost entirely on the drop.

which as we've established via science is the grunting cumshot of male, orgasm directed physical sex. SPLAT!

luka

It's funny to see Luka slagging off beer, as on one of the three (I think?) occasions I've met him, he got me and himself shitfaced on the stuff, skulling pints of it like the Archbishop of Banterbury.

On another occasion he generously shared some DMT with me though, so perhaps that cancels it out.

for the record i made woops! share his with you becasue i assumed you were a policeman and you were wearing a shirt that said police on it.

luka

but it's true that i went through a heavy drinking phase after my dad died and got fat and miserable on it. it lasted for 4 or 5 years. i regret it and im angry with myself about it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was just listening to prodigy experience

Whatever people's take on the Prodigy as commercial ardcore or whatever the music is so fucking weird and intense and (I'll sound a wanker but whatever) 'now' it's easy to see how hideously regressive Fatboy slim must have sounded towards the tail end of the decade.

I mean I dunno how big the Prodigy were compared to when they went a bit more conventional with fat of the land - but dance music wasn't sounding a bit like 60s psychedelic rock at that point. It sounded like hip hop and a bit like reggae and a bit like a lot of other things, but total modernism really...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Music doesn't have to be like that but I can respect the feeling that it should always at least ASPIRE to the new