Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installmant 02 - "Big Beat"

Default 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installmant 02 - "Big Beat"

Another episode of my 90s hypes series, this time - "Big Beat". I frankly admit, I never was a big fan nor did I follow "Big Beat" all that much. At the time Big Beat was quite a hype, namley mid-late 90s I was still very much into techno, jungle, gabba. Gotta also admit, I liked some of the Chemical Brothers releases - like the following:

For some reason adolescent me liked this track a lot when it came out. Tastes chance, luckily.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

It's always made me think of stylized ads with people running down the street in suits, vaulting over things with a bunch of zoom effects, but I don't know if an actual ad like that exists.

I think this is where that image was coming from.

I was at Sussex University in 1997-2001, so my first year was when Brimful of Asha, Renegade Master, Rockefeller Skank etc were all in the charts. I went to the Big Beat Boutique every Friday. I had a great time.

This music has not aged well, and I can't really see how it could ever come back round again, even in the midst of a 90s revival. It was never properly cool to begin with, there's no real nuance or edge or variety to it that you could see from a different angle.

The Chemical Brothers you could almost make a case for, but if they had to be sacrificed so we never heard of Bentley Rhythm Ace again, I think we'd all agree it was worth it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hucks For This Useful Post:

i couldnt stand this stuff but i do rate mr tea aka sid viscous for reviving it. only he could conceive of such a thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

hated it 100% at the time but now i have a soft spot for anything using breaks from that period, esp anything that makes people happy, even if said people are a bunch of drunk twats, so its okay with me. plus its 2018, and basically anything goes in 2018, no one cares about things that were or werent cool anymore (asap rocky just sampled MOBY) so i wouldnt be surprised if 6music spearheads some sort of big beat revival/reappraisal. plus some of it was actually quite good. prodigy, chemical bros. that first daft punk album is sort of on that big beat axis too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rubberdingyrapids For This Useful Post:

It carried over into the 2000s for a bit, this was '03.

loved some of this stuff -bunch of Fatboy and Chems tunes, and this one track by Bentley Rhythm Ace which has a real Sixties-into-Nineties feel

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

also briefly enamored of the label Bolshi and particularly this track by an oddball outfit called Beachcomas

there's a Mekons sample in there and snippets from Gardener's Question Time

17. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

most of the Bolshi stuff i picked up i then promptly sold 6 years later, but kept the Beachcomas 12's and this tune by Rasmus, which reminded me a bit of Sonz of Loop Da Loop Era

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Another rather famous Wall of Sound one, in line with the big beat -adverts connection:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    also briefly enamored of the label Bolshi and particularly this track by an oddball outfit called Beachcomas

there's a Mekons sample in there and snippets from Gardener's Question Time
    i picked this up a year or so ago on your recommendation

it's the position normal end of big beat isn't it?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post: