ageing

Leo

on the plus side of aging, i now tend to not give a shit anymore about some things that used to seem important, so all that self-imposed stress is relieved.

in my younger years, i cared a lot more about what people thought of me, my tastes, my interests, my relationships, my career, etc...now, not so much, and it's extremely liberating. i couldn't care less now, for example, if i don't get invited to a work mate's weekend summer party or know about the newest cool clubs/bars/restaurants, etc. cuz i've been to tons of great parties/clubs/bars/restaurants in my life that in all likelihood were better than what's here now. whenever i think that might just be a biased rose-colored glasses view of an old dude ("things were better back in the day"), it often gets proved correct when i do go out now and usually come away if not disappointed, than at least puzzled by the hype.

instead, you spend time finding new interesting things to do that aren't necessarily based on what's currently hip. it's very freeing, being comfortable enough in your own skin to just do whatever the hell you want and not be concerned about what others think or do.

don't get me wrong, there certainly is a whole new set of anxieties that come along with age, as has been noted already on this thread (health, financial security, mortality, etc.). but as long as i doesn't degenerate to being a slob who never leaves the house, i think i'll be ok.

Last edited:

Woebot

what a terrible world.

aw - i dunno?!?

i'm really looking forward to the next 45 years!

so much to read and learn about. ideas to explore. starting to think about putting something back into society. being constructive. the challenge of learning to live on less money when my income (inevitably) starts to decrease. meeting new people. being with my friends. watching the littluns grow up (not just my children). getting closer in touch with da spirit in da sky.

sounds pretty great!!!!

Woebot

on the plus side of aging, i now tend to not give a shit anymore about some things that used to seem important, so all that self-imposed stress is relieved.

in my younger years, i cared a lot more about what people thought of me, my tastes, my interests, my relationships, my career, etc...now, not so much, and it's extremely liberating. i couldn't care less now, for example, if i don't get invited to a work mate's weekend summer party or know about the newest cool clubs/bars/restaurants, etc. cuz i've been to tons of great parties/clubs/bars/restaurants in my life that in all likelihood were better than what's here now. whenever i think that might just be a biased rose-colored glasses view of an old dude ("things were better back in the day"), it often gets proved correct when i do go out now and usually come away if not disappointed, than at least puzzled by the hype.

instead, you spend time finding new interesting things to do that aren't necessarily based on what's currently hip. it's very freeing, being comfortable enough in your own skin to just do whatever the hell you want and not be concerned about what others think or do.

don't get me wrong, there certain is a whole new set of anxieties that come along with age, as has been noted already on this thread (health, financial security, mortality, etc.). but as long as it doesn't degenerate to being a slob who never leaves the house, i think i'll be ok.

fantastic sentiments.

droid

Footwear becomes a problem for ageing men. If you're not from the north, then the 'Clarks' moment is inevitable, and terrifying. I haven't reached it yet. It's still Ok to wear white Reeboks I think, at any age. Aside from that, trainers are out. Boots and obviously brogues are Ok, never been sure about chelsea boots or had the figure to pull them off. Dress shoes look stupid with jeans. Outre clothing has to be paired down, otherwise you end up looking like a TV presenter. Bikers and cowboys age well.

Getting old is hard. Mainly to do with learning tolerance.

Fuck that noise. Ive never worn a pair of shoes in my life except on the odd occasion Ive been to formal events.

Ill stick to low key skate shoes and just switch to walking boots when the time comes.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Fuck that noise. Ive never worn a pair of shoes in my life except on the odd occasion Ive been to formal events.

Ill stick to low key skate shoes and just switch to walking boots when the time comes.

Yo momma makes noise

:crylarf:

To be fair, there's only one good shoe shop in Ireland so unless you're near Belfast, you're pretty much limited by design.

luka

i wear trainers still and pretty much everyone i know wears trainers still.
i also wear shoes. and plimsoles. and boots.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Coming of Wisdom with Time

THOUGH leaves are many, the root is one;
Through all the lying days of my youth
I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
Now I may wither into the truth.

john eden

male pale and stale
Shoes with jeans is some Jeremy Clarkson nonsense.

Obviously I wear shoes with my suit every day though (even at weekends - those anarchists at the Wilhelm Reich talk on Saturday were well jealous of my garms).

You will regularly see me in jeans and trainers at Dalston's fashionable Cafe OTO however.

luka

it doesnt harm your chances in the sexual marketplace though cos you can just find a partner
who also favours low key skate shoes/hiking trainers.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One of the things i look forward to about old age is being able to grow a big white beard and dress like Claude Monet

Claude%2BMonet%2BStanding%2Bbefore%2Bwater-lily%2Bpaintings%252C%2B1923.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I cultivated a desire, for a time, to write a series for THUMP or something called 'No Club Scene for Old Men'. It would be about my experience of increasing alienation from clubbing, at the grand old age of 33. I'd have also brought in a personal anecdote about being K'd up to the eyeballs at a festival four or five years ago and having to leave the dancefloor because a man in (at least) his 60s started dancing in front of me and it was like being confronted by the spectre of death.

luka

I cultivated a desire, for a time, to write a series for THUMP or something called 'No Club Scene for Old Men'. It would be about my experience of increasing alienation from clubbing, at the grand old age of 33. I'd have also brought in a personal anecdote about being K'd up to the eyeballs at a festival four or five years ago and having to leave the dancefloor because a man in (at least) his 60s started dancing in front of me and it was like being confronted by the spectre of death.

like i say thats why weddings are so great. everyone likes dancing and having a good time and apart from a few awkward teenagers everyone gets bang into it and the music caters for all generations (except sulky teenagers)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Recently I stayed at a mate's flat after a night out and he stayed up with this couple who we'd met who were in their early 20s. They were all doing coke and pills on his balconey til 9am or whatever. I got up and walked in and my mate looked like quasimodo. They both looked immaculate. Glowing. Smooth-skinned. It was amazing. When you're so young that the drugs don't leave a scratch.

And then when you're old you can look like you've been up all night on the chang and it's just that you haven't had a cup of tea in the last five minutes.

luka

but the thing is people who are going out raving a lot past the age of 25 or obviously bit wrong.
so a scene is impossible probably as that depends on a coterie of regulars.

we just want to go out once every two months and blow off steam