Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ageing

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    not that i cared much about kate spade, but the two of them just days apart again brings it home that having fame and fortune doesn't mean all is well. depression doesn't give a shit how much you earn or how popular you are.
    being famous maybe exacerbates the problem of having to pretend? bad enough in everyday life the extent to which (the wrong kind of) feelings are inadmissible, but when millions of people are watching you, must be horrendous if you are feeling shit and your career is modelled on selling yourself as some kind of commodity. The list of famous suicides in the past few years seems incredibly long...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Life after 40 is a damage limitation control exercise. I say this with only 3 months experience of it.
    I'm one year ahead of you, and I look back on last year now as some kind of halcyon age. The abyss yawns.

I am approaching 40 soon enough, and actually I am doing great. Today I have more money that I could meaningfully spend. I have changed my diet, reduced sugar dramatically,which had very good effects. I survived a car accident as a kid, so the Grim Reaper had already an attempt. One thing that puzzles me though is, I have seen a few people around my age getting cancer, some dying even aged somewhat between 35 and 45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...ling-the-truth
    I know fa about bourdain, but in the video on this page he explains how he started out writing aged 44, and his mum helped

Footwear becomes a problem for ageing men. If you're not from the north, then the 'Clarks' moment is inevitable, and terrifying. I haven't reached it yet. It's still Ok to wear white Reeboks I think, at any age. Aside from that, trainers are out. Boots and obviously brogues are Ok, never been sure about chelsea boots or had the figure to pull them off. Dress shoes look stupid with jeans. Outre clothing has to be paired down, otherwise you end up looking like a TV presenter. Bikers and cowboys age well.

Getting old is hard. Mainly to do with learning tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Footwear becomes a problem for ageing men. If you're not from the north, then the 'Clarks' moment is inevitable, and terrifying.
    I made peace with it and I am not even 40 yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m99188868 For This Useful Post:

on the plus side of aging, i now tend to not give a shit anymore about some things that used to seem important, so all that self-imposed stress is relieved.

in my younger years, i cared a lot more about what people thought of me, my tastes, my interests, my relationships, my career, etc...now, not so much, and it's extremely liberating. i couldn't care less now, for example, if i don't get invited to a work mate's weekend summer party or know about the newest cool clubs/bars/restaurants, etc. cuz i've been to tons of great parties/clubs/bars/restaurants in my life that in all likelihood were better than what's here now. whenever i think that might just be a biased rose-colored glasses view of an old dude ("things were better back in the day"), it often gets proved correct when i do go out now and usually come away if not disappointed, than at least puzzled by the hype.

instead, you spend time finding new interesting things to do that aren't necessarily based on what's currently hip. it's very freeing, being comfortable enough in your own skin to just do whatever the hell you want and not be concerned about what others think or do.

don't get me wrong, there certainly is a whole new set of anxieties that come along with age, as has been noted already on this thread (health, financial security, mortality, etc.). but as long as i doesn't degenerate to being a slob who never leaves the house, i think i'll be ok.
    Last edited by Leo; 11-06-2018 at 12:11 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    what a terrible world.
    aw - i dunno?!?

i'm really looking forward to the next 45 years!

so much to read and learn about. ideas to explore. starting to think about putting something back into society. being constructive. the challenge of learning to live on less money when my income (inevitably) starts to decrease. meeting new people. being with my friends. watching the littluns grow up (not just my children). getting closer in touch with da spirit in da sky.

sounds pretty great!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    on the plus side of aging, i now tend to not give a shit anymore about some things that used to seem important, so all that self-imposed stress is relieved.

in my younger years, i cared a lot more about what people thought of me, my tastes, my interests, my relationships, my career, etc...now, not so much, and it's extremely liberating. i couldn't care less now, for example, if i don't get invited to a work mate's weekend summer party or know about the newest cool clubs/bars/restaurants, etc. cuz i've been to tons of great parties/clubs/bars/restaurants in my life that in all likelihood were better than what's here now. whenever i think that might just be a biased rose-colored glasses view of an old dude ("things were better back in the day"), it often gets proved correct when i do go out now and usually come away if not disappointed, than at least puzzled by the hype.

instead, you spend time finding new interesting things to do that aren't necessarily based on what's currently hip. it's very freeing, being comfortable enough in your own skin to just do whatever the hell you want and not be concerned about what others think or do.

don't get me wrong, there certain is a whole new set of anxieties that come along with age, as has been noted already on this thread (health, financial security, mortality, etc.). but as long as it doesn't degenerate to being a slob who never leaves the house, i think i'll be ok.
    fantastic sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I will probably spend the bulk of my 40s saving up money to buy a decent 25 grand CD player.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/cx/cxc

https://toptenswag.com/best-dacs-dig...log-converter/

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Footwear becomes a problem for ageing men. If you're not from the north, then the 'Clarks' moment is inevitable, and terrifying. I haven't reached it yet. It's still Ok to wear white Reeboks I think, at any age. Aside from that, trainers are out. Boots and obviously brogues are Ok, never been sure about chelsea boots or had the figure to pull them off. Dress shoes look stupid with jeans. Outre clothing has to be paired down, otherwise you end up looking like a TV presenter. Bikers and cowboys age well.

Getting old is hard. Mainly to do with learning tolerance.
    Fuck that noise. Ive never worn a pair of shoes in my life except on the odd occasion Ive been to formal events.

Ill stick to low key skate shoes and just switch to walking boots when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Fuck that noise. Ive never worn a pair of shoes in my life except on the odd occasion Ive been to formal events.

Ill stick to low key skate shoes and just switch to walking boots when the time comes.
    Yo momma makes noise

To be fair, there's only one good shoe shop in Ireland so unless you're near Belfast, you're pretty much limited by design.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mistersloane For This Useful Post:

i wear trainers still and pretty much everyone i know wears trainers still.
    i also wear shoes. and plimsoles. and boots.

The Coming of Wisdom with Time

THOUGH leaves are many, the root is one;
    Through all the lying days of my youth
    I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
    Now I may wither into the truth.