Into the lean and slipperíd pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well savíd, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

I was going to put The Sheltering Sky in the soundtracks thread but then remembered this - Paul Bowles at the end - I have had a bit of post 50 wobble so it strikes home

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jenks For This Useful Post:

And a few years ago I finally grew a beard because I had always wanted one but I always bottled out after a week or so because I was always more concerned that my wife would moan about it - you know what? after the first six months she stopped moaning. I suppose I'm saying, you do get to a certain age where you can please yourself and not worry about what others think - although, yes to the feet thing - having to try shoes on and seeing if your orthotics fit is not a strong look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jenks For This Useful Post:

Coincidentally happen to be reading Montaigne's essay 'ON REPENTANCE' on my lunchbreak:

'But it seems to me that in old age our souls are subject to more troublesome ailments and weaknesses than in youth. I said this when I was young, and they scoffed at me for my beardless chin. I repeat it now that my grey hairs give me authority. We call the queasiness of our tastes and our dislike of present-day things by the name of wisdom. But the truth is that we do not so much give up our vices as change them, and in my opinion for the worse. Besides a foolish and tottering pride, a tedious garrulity, prickly and unsociable moods, superstition, and an absurd preoccupation with money after we have lost the use for it, I find in old age an increase of envy, injustice, and malice. It stamps more wrinkles on our minds than on our faces; and seldom, or very rarely, does one find souls that do not acquire, as they age, a sour and musty smell. Man moves onward as a whole towards his growth and towards his decay.'
    PDF here http://hs.umt.edu/ghr/documents/152M...Repentance.pdf

and to reiterate

The Coming of Wisdom with Time

THOUGH leaves are many, the root is one;
    Through all the lying days of my youth
    I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
    Now I may wither into the truth.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 11-06-2018 at 01:18 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong I don't WANT a club scene for old men. How depressing would that be?

We all love music and dancing of course but must we disavow the desire to dance at least within sweating distance of the young and beautiful? (And, as I am saying here, the young mostly ARE beautiful, in their way...)
    Why should that be depressing? Truth be told I haven't been clubbing for years. But back in the day there would always be a few older peeps quite enjoying themselves as well. Deprrssing IMO are only older people desperatley trying to look younger via clothing and/or acting/talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Coincidentally happen to be reading Montaigne's essay 'ON REPENTANCE' on my lunchbreak:

PDF here http://hs.umt.edu/ghr/documents/152M...Repentance.pdf

and to reiterate

The Coming of Wisdom with Time

THOUGH leaves are many, the root is one;
    Through all the lying days of my youth
    I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
    Now I may wither into the truth.
    probably true for a lot of people, certainly some i know. i guess the difference is i'm looking at "ageing" as in 40s-50s (my own experience) versus this, which sounds more accurate for folks in their 60s-70s+.

and tbf, not all of this is ageing-related: i've had "tedious garrulity, prickly and unsociable moods" since age 12.

I suppose it will become more and more common as the generations raised on clubbing approach their dotage.

This is where football is a saviour. Going to a club post-29 and gyrating your ageing carcass near teens is creepy and vile. But donning a Stone Island cap or goggle jacket and doing that "come on then!" extended arms gesture with 29,000 other blokes who've just skulled 10 pints of Stella is OK up 'til, oh I dunno, 68?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    This is where football is a saviour. Going to a club post-29 and gyrating your ageing carcass near teens is creepy and vile. But donning a Stone Island cap or goggle jacket and doing that "come on then!" extended arms gesture with 29,000 other blokes who've just skulled 10 pints of Stella is OK up 'til, oh I dunno, 68?
    After 68 you're at premium age to tell the cops to fuck off at demos though. Or just anyway, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    After 68 you're at premium age to tell the cops to fuck off at demos though. Or just anyway, why not?
    Ian Bone - the OAP we want to be.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

one very noticeable thing about metroplitan Essex is that there is no generation gap.
    when i worked at Romford dogs it was normal to see 3 generations of geezers, son, dad, grandad,
    together for the night out, all dressed identically in tracksuits and trainers (usually air max) drinking
    the same beer, laughing at the same jokes. im suspicious of the rhetoric of ageing
    as it seems to be fairly specific to the white middle class and to be a kind of self-
    fulfilling prophecy. westwood is 80 years old and looking better than ever. there
    does seem to be a way to slip the net to some degree.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    low key skate shoes/hiking trainers is a personality type
    these people favour black, olive greens and various shades of brown and beige. possibly an atavistic
    camouflaging instinct at work

Grey, you forgot grey.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Iíll be 49 in a couple of weeks and Iíve just been out for a curry and a concert (including a set by Scanner) with my Dad who is 76.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Iíll be 49 in a couple of weeks and Iíve just been out for a curry and a concert (including a set by Scanner) with my Dad who is 76.
    one very noticeable thing about metroplitan Essex is that there is no generation gap.
    see?