ageing

luka

when you think of how old you are do you sometimes think, wistfully, about topping yourself?

not in a serious way, just in a that would be nice even though itll never happen way.

luka

my life is as good as it's ever been at the moment btw it's not a cry for help. just bonding with my peers.

luka

everyone started either going mad or sinking into terrible addictions or becoming prickly and pompous
and rigid and ever more right wing by their 30s. god knows what the next decade has in store.

luka

i dont think i know i single man from my generation who makes a decent wage.
mostly just scraping by. totally fucked. losing the plot.

pretty much everyone whos had kids has been broken by stress.
not even men anymore just broken vessels.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Confluence of mid-life crisis and the death of youth etc, and the fact that the world of the 2010s has been objectively quite depressing because of the political and environmental armageddon thing? I sometimes find it hard to prise these apart...

Looking at people older than oneself is also depressing, as many of them are right-wing maniacs.

Last edited:

Leo

topping yourself?

a bit embarrassing to admit but this anthony bourdain news has really bummed me out. watched all his different series over the years, definitely full of himself but a new york character who went beyond the typical food or travel show. ridiculous to say but i felt somehow bonded to him. had some challenges -- drugs in his past, nyc mega food market failure and a recent divorce -- but the show is more popular than ever, found new love with asia argento (who's finally getting justice re: harvey weinstein), so much seemed to be going his way.

not that i cared much about kate spade, but the two of them just days apart again brings it home that having fame and fortune doesn't mean all is well. depression doesn't give a shit how much you earn or how popular you are.

Last edited:

martin

----
when you think of how old you are do you sometimes think, wistfully, about topping yourself?

not in a serious way, just in a that would be nice even though itll never happen way.

Maybe not topping myself - it would make too many people happy, and I'd probably balls it up and end up paralysed (but all too fucking conscious) instead.

But whereas the Grim Reaper was once a distant shadow figure - twitching at the net curtains as I gaily buzzed his front door bell and ran away laughing - he's now more like a next door neighbour. Occasionally, I hear the cunt hoovering.

Put simply, I want to die before Alzheimer's has a chance to turn my brain to toxic porridge, as it's done to so many in my family. I don't want to end up lying in a warm puddle of piss, while a bored nurse takes selfies and old folk around me howl and fart like baby macaques. I don't want to wake up wishing I could walk through town without piercing jolts of arthritic pain, scared to turn on the heating in case British Gas sends the bailiffs around. I don't want to be at the mercy of the strong and sadistic, without a fair chance of fighting back. I don't want little teenage wanks asking me about the Big Beat Wars.

Subsequently, I'm considering smoking again, having quit for 2 years. And I would like to time it so I go out spangled, with a gargantuan cocktail of drugs and booze that'd lay an army to waste.

a bit embarrassing to admit but this anthony bourdain news has really bummed me out. watched all his different series over the years, definitely full of himself but a new york character who went beyond the typical food or travel show. ridiculous to say but i felt somehow bonded to him. had some challenges -- drugs in his past, nyc mega food market failure and a recent divorce -- but the show is more popular than ever, found new love with asia argento (who's finally getting justice re: harvey weinstein), so much seemed to be going his way.

not that i cared much about kate spade, but the two of them just days apart again brings it home that having fame and fortune doesn't mean all is well. depression doesn't give a shit how much you earn or how popular you are.

Same, I read Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour again recently, jaw dropped when I saw that news earlier. Such a lively fella.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Life after 40 is a damage limitation control exercise. I say this with only 3 months experience of it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Confluence of mid-life crisis and the death of youth etc, and the fact that the world of the 2010s has been objectively quite depressing because of the political and environmental armageddon thing? I sometimes find it hard to prise these apart...

Looking at people older than oneself is also depressing, as many of them are right-wing maniacs.

I don't have to worry about that because I've been a right wing maniac since the age of 25.

craner

Beast of Burden
I will probably spend the bulk of my 40s saving up money to buy a decent 25 grand CD player.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

being famous maybe exacerbates the problem of having to pretend? bad enough in everyday life the extent to which (the wrong kind of) feelings are inadmissible, but when millions of people are watching you, must be horrendous if you are feeling shit and your career is modelled on selling yourself as some kind of commodity. The list of famous suicides in the past few years seems incredibly long...

firefinga

I am approaching 40 soon enough, and actually I am doing great. Today I have more money that I could meaningfully spend. I have changed my diet, reduced sugar dramatically,which had very good effects. I survived a car accident as a kid, so the Grim Reaper had already an attempt. One thing that puzzles me though is, I have seen a few people around my age getting cancer, some dying even aged somewhat between 35 and 45.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Footwear becomes a problem for ageing men. If you're not from the north, then the 'Clarks' moment is inevitable, and terrifying. I haven't reached it yet. It's still Ok to wear white Reeboks I think, at any age. Aside from that, trainers are out. Boots and obviously brogues are Ok, never been sure about chelsea boots or had the figure to pull them off. Dress shoes look stupid with jeans. Outre clothing has to be paired down, otherwise you end up looking like a TV presenter. Bikers and cowboys age well.

Getting old is hard. Mainly to do with learning tolerance.